How do domains to their stuff?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lea0001

In Runtime
You can buy domains off places like "goDaddy" etc. But where do they get the domains from, how does the domain system work?

They get them from companies like Eurid. Eurid hands out .eu domains to registrars like GoDaddy.
I think ICANN owns .com domains.

There is a committee that decides what the TLDs (top level domains) are going to be. For example: .com .net .biz, etc. They will then announce when registrars like godaddy.com and register.com can apply to sell a TLD on the public market. Once a company like godaddy.com is "okayed" to sell Domains within that TLD, they will sell and constantly refer back to the InterNIC and ICANN (Same company more or less) sites for availability concerns.
IANA though is the top level organization here. They pay attention a keep control over what happens to all top level domains. IANA was independent from ICANN a while back, but ICANN owns IANA now. So, ICANN pretty much runs the show. But, to say that anyone "owns" the .com or .net TLDs is tough. People take ownership and are assigned to take control over what happens to them just to make some sort of order. But, essentially, that's almost like asking who owns Earth? Since our DoD did create the internet, we have a lot more control over what happens to it....hence these companies control.

HOLY CRAP! mikesgroovin gets most imformitive post of the month award!

Here's the award!
bigmac_1.jpg

HAVOC2k5 said:
HOLY CRAP! mikesgroovin gets most imformitive post of the month award!

Here's the award!
bigmac_1.jpg

Thanks, I suppose. I knew that being nose-deep in books and the internet for the past 12 years would serve a purpose sometime. And now I also get a Big Mac for it? I can die a happy man......oh wait. I'm actually allergic to sesame-seed buns. Do I get to choose behind door number 2?

From the hardware/software end of it domains are controlled by DNS or domain name system, which is nothing more than a big pyramid of DNS servers which keep track of what IP's are assigned to each domain.......they take numeric IP #'s and do the translation to and from what we use to navigate the web, BUT, this same system's operation is basically dictated how its setup by ICANN as well.

Big ISP's, the kind that sell bandwidth and IP numbers to places like time warner(roadrunner) for example are near the top of the DNS pyramid, and end users with single IP's are at the bottom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom