• Dogpile

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
for the most part i bought most of my parts. some my mom paid for 2 parts the rest i had to wait buy wait buy wait buy you get the rest.

Yep, this is another one of those Harper Yarns!!!

Other (please explain)

- Stole it from employeer (1996)
After working as a desktop publisher turn office admin for this one magazine. After 2 issues and various directors and board members taking various items of value, i took the computer as part of my back pay.

2 weeks before, I walk into work and i find my boss, (Terry) telling me that he can no longer afford to keep me around. So he gave me part of what he was owing me.

And ways, it turns out that a lot of the people were taking what they could from the company and then running with. After finding out that Terry was just using our company just to finance his comany in the form of various"CONSULTATION FEES", I desided that I am going to take the computer.

So one day, myself and 2 freind walked into his office in the city. I kicked the door open, and there's Terry have some meeting with his new venture.
I then shouted out :- "Terance, I'm after my servance pay"
Then me and my freinds walked into the room, where this meeting was talking place, we all took one piece each.
CPU, MONITOR, Ink Jet Colour Printer (those things where expensive back then) and then walked out.

3 hours later, I was setting up this computer at home, and i get Terry giving me an abusive phone call.
He's telling me that he that I distrupted his board meeting, and that he's going to report me to the police.
My reply "Sure. Report me to the police. Take Me to court. Sue me. I will just explose you and your unethical business practices. We'll start off with the fact that you were a chair person of 2 companies. Can we spell CONFLICT OF INTEREST?"

About 2 months late, we (myself the remaining board of directors for this magazine) cleared out the rest of this office (tables, chairs, etc) as they were financed by the magazine and not his marketing company.

Anyways, that is how i got my computer.
Since then it's had verious upgrades. I think I am still using the orginal Floppy Drive in my current tower of power now. :D

Any PC that I've used has always been someone else's... But slowly, very slowly... I'm buying a PC part by part.... :freak:

Notice how all the people voting in here are us poor folk who have either taken a damn long time to acquire what we consider a decent PC or are using a crap PC....wheres all those 'FX-55, two 6800Ultra in SLI, 2gb of RAM' people at :p

Well, the first computer was stolen from work in 1995. The next motherboard and CPU were birthday presents. However from then on, about 90% of the stuff I got with my own cash.

However there is the other 10% with was from the following sorces.
1. Stuff going missing in RMA process. From time to time there is people drop off RMAs, and they never return it. And by law, provided I send them 3 letter and wait 3 months. If there is no reply, it's mine.
I nearly had a laptop that way, but the client came in to collect about 1 week before the 3 months were up

2. Freebies from suppliers. My PDA was a freebie with a notebook from a few years back. Just recently i got a HP PSC 2130 as it was bundled with another not book.

3. Oversupply from Suppliers. RARELY I get this happening, but I had suppliers give me too much stock, but not invoice me for it.
- My logitech speakers. I order 1xUnit. They invoiced me 1x Unit. They supplied me 1x Box load (which normally ships 2x Units)
- My sister lucked out last year. I ordered her a 80Gb ATA Hard Drive for her birthday. I was supply a SATA, but invoiced for ATA instead. I am glad that her mother board could take SATA.
- Netgear Wireless G, G Turbo and Range Max. My net gear is contantly screwing up the order there. Most of the time it's ordering Wireless G Turbo, and getting supplied Wireless G. However I did luck out last week by ordering Wireless G Turbo and I was supplied RANGEMAX instead.

4. And then there is occasional inventory adjustment when we phyisically have 1 too many items in the ware house.

I have 3 at the moment, one Dell Laptop that my parents got me to use at school, its great for mobile coding with friends. And then another two that I built myself, a P4 3.2 and an Athlon 64 3200+ Venice.

However, my first one will always be my favorite. My uncle gave me a box of parts that were gonna be dumpstered by the school district that he is the tech director for, he told me that if I wanted a machine to get a cheap monitor and put it together. It was an old school P1 133 MMX but it worked great, not surprised that people in the forum still run those.

Harper those are fun stories :D
Okay here's my computer list:
1. IBM PS/2 8 mhz - Gift from Grandparents
2. Dell 200 mhz P1- Bought for $100 from my Dad
3. Current System- Bought myself, numerous upgrades
4. Packard Bell 486 - Bought myself, $10 I think
5. Sharp Laptop, 12 mhz no hd but 2 floppy drives ;) - Gift from my Dad's ex-girlfriend
6. Compaq Armada e500 P3 500 mhz Laptop - Bought myself ($300)
7. Dell Inspiron 8100 P3 866 mhz Laptop - Bough myself ($400)
8. Apple Powermac - Bought myself ($8)

My current PC needs to last me another year without any upgrades, then I'm off to buy a sweet Athlon 64 :D

jorsoft03 said:
My current PC needs to last me another year without any upgrades, then I'm off to buy a sweet Athlon 64 :D
Doing the same thing myself with my current rig.

Athlough I am putting my older parts to good use. I am hoping i can afford that shuttle box some time in the next 2 week using my old Duron 1300 or Athlon 1700.

Don't know what I'll do with my current comp once I get my new one. I'm thinking a linux server/downloader right now.
Forgot to mention I also have an Apple II, $2 @ a garage sale I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom