How Computers Really Work

Status
Not open for further replies.

anthrdrkelement

Beta member
How do computers work?

(I don't really want to know about the code stuff/programming, just the mechanics of the whole thing... specifically...
How do the transistors really work, I mean what happens after the electricity is applied? How do they do what you want them to do?)

Sorry if the question is to broad... :confused:

I've looked at wikipedia and howstuffworks, both aren't really helpful... wikipedia contains more terms that I have to look up, which leads to more researching...
And howstuffworks doesn't really answer my question...

thanks though.

its nothing more than tables of data and instructions

the processors are hard coded with an instruction set, the BIOS provides a rudimentary OS for the system to use hardware, and then the OS is layered on top of that so humans can use the system easier

its kinda like an automated post office with workers that don't do anything unless instructed exactly how to do it down to the smallest detail, and all their commands are issued in binary some of which they automatically "know" cause the processor has its instruction set hard coded into it

two buses usually in a basic system---> address bus which allows memory and devices to be addressed and worked with and a data bus which carries the data

I highly recommend either building a simple 8085 or 8088 system to play with if you really wanna find out how it works, on those systems the instruction set is small and easier to work with......or you could just learn machine and assembly language which eventually force you to learn this stuff anyway. Its just a lot more complicated with today's 32 bit and 64 bit systems, 8 bit is much easier to grasp.

as far as transistors themselves, they have three wires or leads, one is ground and shared by the other two leads, one lead controls whether or not current can flow thru the collector hence it makes a simple on off switch providing simple binary logic.........its on or its off, by putting thousands of these things together in combos of parallel and serial arrangements you can hard code binary logic systems which is all a computer is

I think I'm going to go look up those terms you answered with.

And I'll definitely give the building thing a try...

Thank you so much.

After the electricity is applied little hamsters get an electroshock which makes them spin their wheel faster and faster. They alternate the speed of their self-powered turbine which drops different letters into the slots and that is what you see on your monitor.

Nah, just kidding. Honestly it took some time for me to process it. I thought about this when I was around 10 years old all the way up until 17 when I figured out my solution.

We know how small everything is now, everything used to be so much bigger. Bigger computers (made by man) used to make smaller computers (made by machine). A beautiful concept, really.

The idea is switches, it's all binary, it's all it ever was. It's all, take the null (0) path, take the whole (1) path.

Besides, what am I supposed to do, you better be paying me to write such an article. $200 up front, $400 once completed.

You'll figure it out over time, just pay a lot of attention, try to learn what electronics do, look at an electronics schematic. At the bottom their should be a reference for each letter and number combination on the schematic.

Check out: "http://www.electronics-lab.com/projects/telephone/007/"

On the image, you see C1, toward the bottom you will find
Name: C1
Quantity: 1
Part it refers to: 330pF Capacitor

Look up what a capacitor is on wikipedia, look up what a transistor is on wikipedia. Once you learn the basics, everything will just come together. Also, pay close attention to the wiring scheme associated with the device. It really is truly impressive.

I happened to have repaired pinball machines for fun in my spare time and I must say it really does all come together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom