How can you tell if BIOS password was hacked?

Status
Not open for further replies.

geekhelp

Beta member
How can you tell if your bios password was hacked? I've read that there is software that can hack bios passwords or the battery can be removed from the motherboard. What would be some signs of a hacked bios password? Also what can I do to prevent this? Would disabling everything but the hard drive during boot sequence help to prevent software hacks? Is there anyway to prevent the battery trick?

Why are you worried..... The only way to get rid of the password is to open up your computer and remove the battery or change a jumper.....

I have read that there is software that will reset the password or allow people to bypass it.

If the battery was removed or a jumper switched would the old password be deleted and then there would be none?

yep if you remove the battery bios is reset to defaults with no password. Lock your case install a webcam and get a watchdog and you will be ok.

move your floppy and cd drives below the harddrive in the boot order in bios or remove them alltogether. By doing that your system can only be booted by the hard drive. If your system is turned off when you are not on it then it cannot be booted unless you know the bios password removing the chance for software hack.

geekhelp said:
any tips on how to prevent or tell if software was used to get past the bios password?
Check contact your motherboard manufacturer. However I don't think they have any thing.

If your using windows as an OS on the PC your screwed, as long as the user can run an exe you can clear the CMOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom