How can i tell how old my computer is...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
aye it was pre-built..

Hmm here's some random info then:

On the case it says Fujistu Siemens computers, "SCALEO M" is on the front near the bottom( maybe thats some kind of code for the computer?)

If it helps it has a 2.6ghz intel processer, it has 1.256 DDR ram now but it cam,e with like 256 or 512, it came with a radeon 9250 i think, has a 7600GS now.

I believe 2gb is the max ram it can take...( its like DIMM184 ram or something?)

Hmm is there any information i can find for you guys which will help? I'm pretty sure this was brought in 2002( MAYBE, 2003) but the date would help( basically we're trying to find out if it's 5 years, 5.5 years or 6 years old now.:laughing: ( it's kind of dieing...:laughing: )

4-5 years old.
What are you using it for?

Personally I would not be going for the latest games, but some thing like that would be great for the following
* Home Server
* Media Centre (provided that the video card as TV out, otherwise they are not that expensive)
* Torrent Box (500Mhz CPU and do that job)
* Folding Box (if you are into that sort of thing)
* Spare computer. Face it, it will still easily do Word Processing and getting onto the internet.

I would not brother with doing any big upgrade beyond purchacing more ram and a larger hard drive. Especially when a better PCI-Express Video card (GeForce 8600GT) is cheaper than a lessor AGP card (GeForce 7600GT)

if that card could even fit in this thing:D ( i think its AGPx8 or something..)

why wouldint it fit??

Newegg.com - Open Box: SAPPHIRE 100217L Radeon HD 2600PRO 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 AGP 8X HDCP Ready Video Card

4-5 years old.
What are you using it for?

Personally I would not be going for the latest games, but some thing like that would be great for the following
* Home Server
* Media Centre (provided that the video card as TV out, otherwise they are not that expensive)
* Torrent Box (500Mhz CPU and do that job)
* Folding Box (if you are into that sort of thing)
* Spare computer. Face it, it will still easily do Word Processing and getting onto the internet.

I would not brother with doing any big upgrade beyond purchacing more ram and a larger hard drive. Especially when a better PCI-Express Video card (GeForce 8600GT) is cheaper than a lessor AGP card (GeForce 7600GT)

For a folding box, it would be perfect.

Right click your WINDOWS folder. It will tell you when it was created. If you haven't done a restore or a reformat that should be close.

ok my windows folder says created in october 2003. I personally haven't formatted anything, although i do remember quite a long time ago we got a really bad virus and loads of stuff had to be done, so i'm not sure if the hard drive was messed with in any way to fix it.

I'll assume it's like 4 and a half years old though.

Anyway i realize i can't upgrade this thing now and it annoys me i can't play any new games on it at all, this is why i'm going to save up money from when i get a job in the holidays.

Thanks for the help guys!

It's what we are here for, stick around though mate an learn trust me the more knologe you have when building / designing your first comp will come in handy.

yeah i think i'm ok on choosing components already from looking at some posts, obviously i'll have any choices i make, when i do, criticized to ****!( which is a good thing:D ).

oh and Chris you seem really nice(thanks for helping on my other thread as well bout GPU's):happy: , not that everyone else isn't!:p

I say take your PC and donate it to a museum :p. I'm not sure whats gonna become of my old 3700+ rig, I may just junk it and salavage what I can (PSU, DVD Burner and Hard Drives) add some more parts and build an HTPC or something with a folding program running on it at all times.

I say take your PC and donate it to a museum :p. I'm not sure whats gonna become of my old 3700+ rig, I may just junk it and salavage what I can (PSU, DVD Burner and Hard Drives) add some more parts and build an HTPC or something with a folding program running on it at all times.

Prolly adding some extra parts from a HTPC would do the trick.
Like my first HTPC was just a simple AMD Athlon 1333. Every thing else with expection of the case was parts what I managed to scrap together from abandonned PCs.

IBM - How it works: recycling and refurbishing computers
So what are your options? Rather than stick your desktop in a closet or put your laptop out with the trash, consider these ideas:

Donate it. If it's less then five years old, chances are your computer can be put to good use by someone else. Rather than donate equipment directly to a charity or school, however, it is usually best if you send it to a refurbisher. Try to remember all the accessories, such as power cords, keyboards and mice.

Recycle it. Any equipment that is not working or is more than five years old should be recycled. Some recyclers will charge a fee to accept old computer equipment, especially monitors. But you can find a recycler near you by visiting the National Center for Electronics Recycling web site.

Not sure about that 5 years part. Like i find that computers that are 8 years old are still useful. Like a 1Ghz to 2.4Ghz CPU is still good enough to get online and still do the basic of computer stuff with.

They might be a little harder to find parts for, especially when the motherboard dies or if you some thing like a Socket 754 (early Athlon 64) or Socket 423 (early Pentium 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom