Houston, We have a problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Harper said:
DUDE!
Just what is it that you do on your computer to mess up your hard drive like that. I have not seen any thing like that since my Windows-98-on-3Gb-HHD-and-I-just-got-a-CD-Burner days

lol, I actually found it quite amusing. It's just a really old drive (ironically it came from a win98, 3GB + the 30GB for storage and it had an external burner.) As I said it actually has been worse... can't remember the numbers but like half of it was solid red and the other half was a rainbow.

Back in the early days of CD Burning when
* you have your 2x or 4x speed burners,
* media was about $10 per disk
* and buring the 30/15 minutes that it used to take to burn your cd, you would hold your breath and hope that you remembered to turn of your screen saver while buring a CD

you would take the extra time to make an image file instead of burning on the fly. I remeber deleting the image file and then defraging the drive, and degrag used to come up with some very interesting paterns due to the way the image files used to write to the disk.

I also remember when Buffer Size's in CD Burner start to get bigger and there was things like Buffer Underrun protection.

At the time, it was still 8x CD Rom burning, However I used to demostrate Buffer Underrun protection by start to burn a CD, and then start up a copy of Quake II and start playing that while still burning the CD.

However I did loose count the number of times I forgot to turn off the screen saver. So it mean that i was stuck on my desk..... moving my mouse every 5 minutes for the next 1/2 hour just to make sure that the screen saver did not turn on.

Ahhhhh..... the good old days. :bald:

Harper said:
I also remember when Buffer Size's in CD Burner start to get bigger and there was things like Buffer Underrun protection.

At the time, it was still 8x CD Rom burning, However I used to demostrate Buffer Underrun protection by start to burn a CD, and then start up a copy of Quake II and start playing that while still burning the CD.

However I did loose count the number of times I forgot to turn off the screen saver. So it mean that i was stuck on my desk..... moving my mouse every 5 minutes for the next 1/2 hour just to make sure that the screen saver did not turn on.

Ahhhhh..... the good old days. :bald:

Getting old huh? ;)

All of today's burners have buffer underrun protection. (Aopen uses "JustLink")

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom