Hmm... Help with a car issue....

Status
Not open for further replies.

C0RR0SIVE

Golden Master
Ok guys, wonder if anyone wants to help me find out something, ever since I got my 97 Dodge Intrepid with a 3.3L V6 engine it has had this issue with the A/C and heating system, the a/c works I know that for sure, but the door between the heater core and the rest of the system will get jammed and stay open when going from the heater to a/c, well usually a good bump will knock it back to where it's mostly closed. Well it won't close and with near 100 degree temps that I am not used to with this humidity, I need the a/c... So can someone give me a clue as to where I can find the freaking heater core?? Or can I go to the engine compartment and undo the hoses to it and put a straight line in to keep coolant from going to the heater core?? Oh and I know the heater core on this thing is in the dash, somewhere....

:eek: :(

You can adjust the hoses and stuff (I think they're located on the passenger side under the hood by the firewall and behind the condenser)
But switching the hoses doesn't fix the problem. You'll need to get it fixed eventually to prevent permanent damage to the A/C system.

Well I was thinking of taking the heater core out of the entire cooling loop and just have a straight line in it, that way the engines cooling system will still work (hopefully) and the AC system will work correctly. I found out where the hoses are well the ones that go to the heater core, there in the center under the hood right behind the engine.... Such a hard to get to place... But in the winter place the hoses back to how they where and use the heater like normal after bleeding the radiator and cooling system....

It would be your best bet to just fix the jam. You can risk getting serious damage to the whole system if not done correctly and that will be more costly than some time fixing the door jam. Usualy the heater core is behind the glove compartment.

Not on the 97 Dodge intrepid, it is right in the center of the dash, and I went ahead and bypassed the heater core for now, my brother said he ran his old buick like that for a few years then got rid of it, at that time he was living in florida so no need in a heater core, but we placed and order for some new hoses, two T lines, and four valves, basically turn the valves in the winter/summer to shut the heater core off and turn it on.... not hard really.... And there appears to be no temp problems with the cooling system because I just ran the car at 80mph for close to 100 miles, so things seem fine...

Red = Heater Core
Pink = Radiator lines
Black = Engine Block
Blue = T Line
Yellow = Valve

Basically turn two of the valves on and the other two off to close the radiator and vice versa. Right now the tube is just looping back around and into the block.

786786786786798ew8.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom