HMM: HD DVD Should "Knock It Off" for Inevitable Blu-ray Victory

Status
Not open for further replies.
@PTS2008not everyone uses netflix, a lot more people use Blockbuster, but with Americans getting Lazier and Lazier who knows

I'm offended by your stereotypical comment. I use Netflix because it makes more financial sense than wasting gas to drive to a movie store that charges $5+ a night for a movie not to mention late fees. I can just buy a $17.99 subscription to netflix and watch around 20 movies per month if I stay on top of my wish list and continually send back movies I've watched. That's less than a dollar a movie.

I think that's smart economics. BTW... I'm also American and FAR FROM LAZY.

I vote people should "knock it off" with these fanboi posts. Like i say in every other thread, why pay double the price for blu-ray when its only a minimal upgrade over DVD. Theres no way you can tell me it costs double to produce a bd disk over a standard dvd.

i assume you haven't experienced Blu, since your comment says only marginal increase. have you watched any of the Reference Blu's or watched a Blu-ray with LPCM?

I'm offended by your stereotypical comment. I use Netflix because it makes more financial sense than wasting gas to drive to a movie store that charges $5+ a night for a movie not to mention late fees. I can just buy a $17.99 subscription to netflix and watch around 20 movies per month if I stay on top of my wish list and continually send back movies I've watched. That's less than a dollar a movie.

I think that's smart economics. BTW... I'm also American and FAR FROM LAZY.

Ya, we have netflix too. I don't see any cons it has over a local blockbuster other than the mailing time.

im still surprised Blu-ray is winning, n it cost more to manufacture then HD-DVD.

i am very surprised n i wanted to support HD-DVD but my family has not HD-DVD player, just a PS3 with Blu-ray in it. We have like 8-9 Blu-ray movies already too.

if Toshiba manages to make a comeback, then that would surprise me but i give them 50/50 last chance to beat Blu-ray.

That's my only complaint against Blu-ray is how expensive it is, but hopefully with the fall of HD DVD as a format maybe Blu-ray will become cheaper as it has less competition.

I'm glad I never bought an HD-DVD Player as the people who went out and bought them are probably gonna be seeing red pretty soon, especially those Home Theater buffs who went out and spent a ton on expensive HD-DVD equipment and HD-DVD Media only to find out it's about to be obsolete.

HDDuD Hardware is only cheaper because Toshiba used M$ tactics, eg flooding the market with players, and not to mention they are the only ones making HDDuD players, while on the other hand Blu-ray Hardware started out higher, since it uses NEW technologies, but also a lot of more Hardware vendors are around, which means they will be fighting each other to make players more affordable for us the consumer, Blu-ray players just keep going down in price, while Toshiba maintained the HDDuD hardware price until recently when they got desperate and slashed the prices 45-50% off. Software wise The are about the same price for the retail copy, but Blu-ray has been having BoGo sales and other sales nonstop,which keeps us happy.

I'd much rather support BDA who used their 150million to make sales on movies for us, rather than Toshiba who bribed Paramount, and the prices of movies are still the same.of course with Warner joining the BDA that leaves over 70% of movie releases for Blu-ray.

HD is cheaper because you can use standard DVD making factories to make HD DVDs rather than new equipment like you have to with Blu Ray, not because of marketting.

I still think its all ********. You don't NEED 25gbs of space for a 2 hour movie, even if its High Def. If they used a more efficient codec they could just put High Def movies on DVDs, but they 1) add a crapload of DRM and 2) Would prefer large size to deter pirating.

yes theEnd should be less childish ;) and just use HDdvd, hehe

But with all the current tech you actually do need higher capacity optical media. It works in a 2 way flow

The data currently has to be compressed in one way or another to fit within a certain later of standard DVD, same goes for next gen disc media.

If you compress it you can fit it...
If you compress it you potentially end up losing data or sacrificing quality...
Compressiong means you have to have higer power hardware to load and decompress effectively...less compression less hardware...

But yes, technically they didn't need it, but if they were to fully adopt it, the methods to compress the medium and place it on standard dvd would have consumed more time.

Examples are of course, WMVHD and my beloved HVD (asian) format ;)
It IS mainly bull.

My home movies from my canon HV20 are 15gbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom