Help a question that needs to be solved!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndrewxChau

Solid State Member
I hope you can help solve this simple equation:

There are 3 men in jail and did pretty good the sherif decided to ask them a skill testing quesion, " Which hat are you wearing when the other 2 people is wearing those hat? "

There are 3 people 1 is blind, 1 has 1 eye, and one has both eyes, they where blind folded before the hats where worn, the hats included 3 green hats and 2 white hats.

The 2 people who can see said it wasnt worth the trouble, and then the blind man said a hat, but which hat? he was absouloutly sure that it was that hat.

How did he know?

I am going to assume that the guy with one eye can only see one of the other men.

Lets see. The blind man must be wearing a green hat since the other 2 men do not have enough information to give an answer. The man who can see both the other guys can deduce that if the other two are both wearing white hats, then his must be green. However, this isn't the case. One of them must be green. So the man with one eye knows that he and the man with two eyes must both be wearing green hats, or at least one of them must be. He must see a green hat on the other man's head, the one who can see, otherwise he would know the colour of his own hat.

Because these two cannot answer the question, the blind man knows that he is wearing a green hat.

This kind of question is much easier to understand if you act it out yourself, draw it, or think in a more visual way.

CORRECTED VERSION: I hope you can help solve this simple equation:

There are 3 prison inmates, to each a sherif decided to give a riddle, "Which hat are you wearing when the other 2 inmates are wearing the same hat? "

1 inmate is blind, 1 has 1 eye, and the last has both eyes. All of the inmates were blind-folded before the hats were put on. The hats included 3 green hats and 2 white hats.

The 2 inmates who can see said it wasn't worth the trouble, but then the blind man said a hat, but which hat? He was absouloutly sure that it was that hat.

How did he know?

Poorly posted question. The original AND the revised. Restate it more clearly. Especially address WHY the other 2 said it wasn't worth the trouble. Because they didn't care or they just couldn't tell. ETC.

There are other holes too. With this form, this problem is not mathematically solvable. I can prove it.

AndrewxChau said:

There are 3 prison inmates.... "Which hat are you wearing when the other 2 inmates are wearing the same hat? ".... The hats included 3 green hats and 2 white hats.

How did he know?

The green hat. He knew because he could add.

The question is stated very poorly. It's not clear at all.

The green hat. He knew because he could add.

The other 2 guys are wearing the same hat AS EACH OTHER. Doesn't say anything about the blind man's hat.

In anycase, that was my intepretation of the question. And obviously, you intepreted it differently. Which just goes to show that it was a very poorly worded question. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom