Help a noob with craigslist please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akubane

Fully Optimized
Hey. I posted my ol pc on craigslist and kijiji a little while ago, and finally got someone who wants to buy it. Hes not local, but hes canadian.

How exactly does this work? I've never sold in classifieds before. He said he can use paypal. Paypal is pretty safe as far as I know. it's the only way I every accept payment through ebay.

Is it relatively safe for him to just send money through paypal? craigslist/kijiji isn't exactly an organized transaction sort of deal like ebay.

Anyone ever used it before?

I'm assuming I just send it when payment clears eh. A paypal transaction can't exactly bounce like a cheque if there isn't enough money. And if I use paypal to print and track the shipping label, and also require a signature upon delivery, then there can't be any dispute about not shipping.

I use craigslist all the time and if he says he's Canadian then he's safe. I'm not only saying that because I'm Canadian. It's when they claim they're overseas in Nigeria or South Africa and they want to use MoneyGram or AlertPay that you have to be weary. Both are legitimate payment methods but people find loopholes.

As long as he sends you the funds through PayPal before you ship it you're good. PayPal has no loopholes to get out of paying after money has been sent.

Yes they do... The buyer can reverse the payment and get his money back. I will tell you now that Paypal sides heavily with the buyer in any dispute that comes up.

Don't ship it until you transfer the funds from paypal into your checking account.

If they send the money over to my account it is deposited the next business day automatically. Everyone's accounts should be setup that way.

Cool. I gave paypal a call for info, the payment will go through no matter what he has in his account, guarenteed.
The only way to tie things up is if he files a dispute, in which case they'll investigate. I'll require a signature on pickup so he can't dispute delivery, and I'll have his full name and address, which is asociated with his paypal account and bank. if he tries to screw me I've got all the info I need to contact the authorities and get it straightened out.

Going to get in contact over the phone tomorrow to touch base anyway. See what's up.

Thanks guys.

And wtf? Paypal debit card? Seriously?

The debit card method is how you become a premier account member. You provide PayPal with your banking information so that you don't have to use a Credit Card if you don't wish. It also gives you the benefit of automatic account deposits.

The debit card is nice....it basically makes your paypal account into an online banking account and you can use the card to take out money and to pay for stuff.

So if you get the debit card, does it transfer money to/from your bank account instantly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom