Help me decide TF

Status
Not open for further replies.

PP Mguire

Build Guru
Well my i5 is ruined from the water cooling ordeal. :( Ive tried all i can do and even with a core disabled it still freezes at anything over 3.4ghz.

So what do you guys think? Sell my chip on Craigslist and get a 760 or just use my 940BE rig till Sandy Bridge? Chip still works perfect at stock so im not exactly screwing anybody over. They just wont be able to OC it that high.

I wouldn't sell someone else damaged goods. IMO either use the 750 at stock or use the 940 B.E, whichever is faster.

You need to underclock that i5 down to atleast 2.92ghz stop screwing around with water cooling for awhile and try air cooling.
Minus the fact you forget you still have a warranty with intel right ? your a smart guy talk to them real nice and ask them what they can do to fix your core i5.

As for your amd cpu, leave it on the back burner just in case you do get a rma from intel and you don't have very much on hand.

Ive been back on my TRUE because i figured water cooling was doing the freezing. On the TRUE i was doing 4.2ghz at 1.4125v without even peaking 80c. Now i cant even do 3.8ghz on 1.45v during a single 06 run.
Ive already RMAd my 750 before after i messed up the first one with phase (well combination of phase and a power brown). It took alot of silver tongueing to convince the lady i was "using the stock cooler at stock frequencies". It then took them 6 weeks to send me a new one after "testing it to make sure it was dead". If this one runs at stock fine, they will probably send it back to me and i wasted my money on shipping.

As for the selling, it would be to some poor schmuck probably anyways. Ive been sold countless times damaged things by peers off of forums and it seriously ****ed me off. So pardon me, if i really dont care anymore. If i sell things on forums i make sure its in mint condition or ill spit shine it till it is. I get a dead 280, half fried set of RAM, cracked acrylic on a water block, corroded water block, missing pieces to things, borked 360 controller all in return and thats the start.

The 750 at stock....is slow to say the least. 940 at 3.6ghz is decent but DDR2 platform. Eh ill mull it over some more. Ill prolly just try and get my old i3 back and use that till Sandy Bridge..maybe.

Ha, bitter much PP? Juuuuuust kidding. Rock the 940BE until Sandy rolls out. I wouldn't drop cash on a replacement if you're able to hold out for Sandy. I mean, it's not like you'd be stuck using a socket 754 until then.

Ha, bitter much PP? Juuuuuust kidding. Rock the 940BE until Sandy rolls out. I wouldn't drop cash on a replacement if you're able to hold out for Sandy. I mean, it's not like you'd be stuck using a socket 754 until then.

You could say ive been screwed over a fair few times but then again with the company i was trading with im not surprised anymore. Anywho, i was gonna sell the chip so i wouldnt have to pay much for the replacement ;) This computer is going to the gf when im done with it and the 940 is currently my server which is why im debating whether or not to do this. Id much rather not have 90% of a P55 rig layin about that we cant use but then again i dont wanna sell a non OCable chip. I AM honest, just broke lol.

If i didnt have the 940 id be stuck using a 939 :0

I am going to say this once, UNLESS YOU SPECIFICALLY SAY THAT THIS ITEM IS NOT STABLE FOR OVERCLOCKING YOU WILL BE IN TROUBLE.

Even still, overclocking a CPU comes with no guarantees. Plus the chances are better that the buyer is looking for a CPU to use, not everyone out there is into overclocking like we are.

Well putting 1.4v+ on a i5 is outrageous for a 4.2 GHz overclock on air. And if your watercooling and occasionally using a phase I can't help but think you need to use a better motherboard. Every i5 750 I've seen would hit the 4 to 4.2 GHz range with less than 1.325v on air.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom