help with choosing.. a Bike - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Member's Area > Off Topic Discussion
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 02:22 PM   #11 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via AIM to homerj14

naw im just gonna be usin about every other day no morea than 30 min for a quick ride around my block

Old 11-16-2006, 03:05 PM   #12 (permalink)
Monster Techie

you get what you pay for

I have had my mongoose efx for 2~ years and I have had to replace the rear sproket twice, first time under warrenty, second time(recently) cost $30

all in all, my walmart bike was well worth the $128 +30

with that said, I should mention that I keep my bike clean and well maintained

otherwise I doubt it would have lasted a year...

so... walmart bikes can be dodgy and poorly built, but as long as you know how to take care of it, it should be fine

Old 11-16-2006, 03:09 PM   #13 (permalink)
Super Techie

Ya, for no more than you are doing, I would def. go with the walmart bike. Cuz think, when your in to CG, you aren't gonna have a bike, no used buying a real nice one to sit around for four years till you get out of the service.

I generally stick with the 100 dollar wallyworld bikes...they normally last me two to three seasons of good use.
Ubuntu - it\'s all about the bun\'s baby!!!
Old 11-16-2006, 03:18 PM   #14 (permalink)
Super Techie

yea im leavin in late feb, so I aint usin in for long time
Old 11-16-2006, 04:11 PM   #15 (permalink)
PowerQuest / Opera

Holy.... bikes are cheap over there!
Look at our prices:
http://www.fietsenwinkel.nl/library/...nu=subModellen

And those are cheap ones ^^
Old 11-16-2006, 04:24 PM   #16 (permalink)
Do work.

Send a message via AIM to molsen

if you're going to be riding around your block for exercise...don't get one of those heavy bikes with front and rear suspension. it'll do nothing but slow you down and then the shocks will wear out before you know it and then you'll be paying to fix something you don't need.

goto a bike shop and find a decent used schwinn or something that's meant for road/hybrid use. it'll be easy for $100 or less and you'll end up paying for quality components and a decent frame instead of flashy looks and useless/heavy suspension.

also, the tech. at the bike shop should be able to help you select a bike with a frame that fits your body size and leg length well and will help you set it up properly be more comfortable and avoid injury. the last thing you need before going into service is to be riding around on an improperly-sized and setup bike and end up hurting your knees or back.

Intel E8400 @ 3.78ghz
8gb (4x2gb) G.SKILL DDR2 1600 @ 420mhz, 5-5-5-12
ASrock P43Twins1600 (hates RAM dividers)
WD Caviar 500gb + 250gb hdd, 32mb cache
eVGA 7900gs @ 585/1700mhz
OCZ GameXStream 600w PSU
Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum
Cooler Master Centurion 5 case
Old 11-16-2006, 05:26 PM   #17 (permalink)
Super Techie

when I was In Netherlands, more than 90 percent of tilburg and Breda were bike riders
Old 11-16-2006, 05:27 PM   #18 (permalink)
Super Techie

do they sell hand grip things because my hands always hurt holding the grips or I should just get gloves I think I will do what Molsen said and go to the shop i was at walmart today they seemed too good to be true the bikes
Old 11-16-2006, 05:39 PM   #19 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by molsen
if you're going to be riding around your block for exercise...don't get one of those heavy bikes with front and rear suspension. it'll do nothing but slow you down and then the shocks will wear out before you know it and then you'll be paying to fix something you don't need.

goto a bike shop and find a decent used schwinn or something that's meant for road/hybrid use. it'll be easy for $100 or less and you'll end up paying for quality components and a decent frame instead of flashy looks and useless/heavy suspension.

also, the tech. at the bike shop should be able to help you select a bike with a frame that fits your body size and leg length well and will help you set it up properly be more comfortable and avoid injury. the last thing you need before going into service is to be riding around on an improperly-sized and setup bike and end up hurting your knees or back.
I love my rear suspension, and it's not heavy at all... entire bike is around 20~30lbs

2 years and my suspension still works like new...
Old 11-16-2006, 05:42 PM   #20 (permalink)
Master Techie

Quote:

What? So what if it's heavier, I mean he IS exercising, the extra weight just means more work and a better exercise.

May the wind always be at your back and the sun upon your face, and may the winds of destiny carry you aloft to dance with the stars
Closed Thread