hdtv vs standard satellite

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't notice a difference at 720p, maybe 1080 or higher yields different results?

Here is the same image on different screen resolutions, not sure exactly how they got those results entirely.

HD_vs_SD_resolutions.png

But, composite just can't display the higher resolutions that the others can handle.

So, two questions, whats your TV support? And what devices are you using? Because standard definition on higher resolution tv sets can look pixelated.

Here is a good read on HDMI/DVI Vs. Component, note that composite isn't listed as it is a very old method of transmitting video. DVI vs. HDMI vs. Component Video -- Which is Better? - eCoustics.com

Thx c0rr0sive for the great post showing all the different variations. Appreciate it.

I found out, all those pictures was shown on the SAME SCREEN, that is 1080P Native, so the lower resolutions look like crap, but would look good if they was on a set that actually supported the images resolution naitevly.

So an image that is 720p native looks good at 720p, but when put on a 1080 or higher screen it looks like crap.

But, yea, the transmission method will depend upon the source file and tv and what they both handle.

Please don't use composite cables with an HDTV unless you absolutely have to. You can't get high definition out of composite cables. The difference is unbelievable if you're not used to it.

As far as component cables go, you can get high def out of component. But with my Xbox 360, I've noticed a difference between component and HDMI even when both were running at the same resolution. HDMI is a little clearer and sharper. The reason is that with component, your Xbox, satellite receiver, etc., has to convert the digital data to analog; then the tv converts the analog signal back to digital. It usually does a good job of it, but not as good as using an HDMI cable and just sending the digital signal straight to your TV. You may not be able to perceive much difference, but I can.

I found out, all those pictures was shown on the SAME SCREEN, that is 1080P Native, so the lower resolutions look like crap, but would look good if they was on a set that actually supported the images resolution naitevly.

So an image that is 720p native looks good at 720p, but when put on a 1080 or higher screen it looks like crap.

But, yea, the transmission method will depend upon the source file and tv and what they both handle.
Trust me, a native 480i feed on a SD TV still doesn't look nearly as good as a native HD feed on an HDTV. Also, I have my satellite receiver set to change everything to 1080i instead of native. On my TV, it looks much better, even when the native resolution of the feed is 720p. But maybe that's just because my TV happens to do a better job of conversion than some TVs do.

Please don't use composite cables with an HDTV unless you absolutely have to. You can't get high definition out of composite cables. The difference is unbelievable if you're not used to it.

As far as component cables go, you can get high def out of component. But with my Xbox 360, I've noticed a difference between component and HDMI even when both were running at the same resolution. HDMI is a little clearer and sharper. The reason is that with component, your Xbox, satellite receiver, etc., has to convert the digital data to analog; then the tv converts the analog signal back to digital. It usually does a good job of it, but not as good as using an HDMI cable and just sending the digital signal straight to your TV. You may not be able to perceive much difference, but I can.

Trust me, a native 480i feed on a SD TV still doesn't look nearly as good as a native HD feed on an HDTV. Also, I have my satellite receiver set to change everything to 1080i instead of native. On my TV, it looks much better, even when the native resolution of the feed is 720p. But maybe that's just because my TV happens to do a better job of conversion than some TVs do.

The reason HDMI beats out component every time is HDMI is a digital signal whereas component is analogue.

The reason HDMI beats out component every time is HDMI is a digital signal whereas component is analogue.
That's what I said.

The reason is that with component, your Xbox, satellite receiver, etc., has to convert the digital data to analog; then the tv converts the analog signal back to digital. It usually does a good job of it, but not as good as using an HDMI cable and just sending the digital signal straight to your TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom