HDTV LCD Question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KCRMYZ

Banned
I was looking to purchase one of these for christmas and was wondering what is the best kind to get.

The things I am looking to do with it is turn it into a Moniter and T.V

What specifications should I look out for?

Thanks.

You should look for:

-high contrast ratio
-brightness range of 300-500cd/m2
-low pixel pitch
-response time of 8ms or below

Are you planning to play games on this? If so, what is your system specs? This is to pick out a suitable resolution.

Brands to look for....Samsung, LG, HP, Acer, Dell, etc..

You should look for:

-high contrast ratio
-brightness range of 300-500cd/m2
-low pixel pitch
-response time of 8ms or below

Are you planning to play games on this? If so, what is your system specs? This is to pick out a suitable resolution.

Brands to look for....Samsung, LG, HP, Acer, Dell, etc..

Yeah like WoW, Counter-Strike, and BF2 and 2142.

System Specs are:

6600 Nvidia Geforce.
3200 AMD.
80 Gigs.
2 Gigs of Ram.

I'm upgrading the video card soon though.

Thanks.

no real advice...I think most of this comes from personal preference and experience...

I could only suggest to keep in mind that if you buy a 720p or 1080p screen that your gpu can match the resolution for the best possible picture, ie., clarity.

You can higher than 720p or 1080p...but when the pixels don't match 1:1...it's blurry.

IF you plan to sit close to it all the time, or not get one that is inordinately large, say 24", then it does not have to match the brightness of tv model. LCDs for pc usage and tv usage tend to differ in those 2 categories, for good reason.

LCD over Plasma since Plasma can get burn in.

Plasma over LCD because of better veiwing angles and color depth and reproduction

LCD over plasma due to glare resistance

Try to get a TV with 8000:1 Contrast Ratio minimum. and I say 5ms or lower response time. if you plan on Watching HD-Mivies i suggest blu-ray due to the obvious benefits, and if you do get a tv that can do 1080p@24Hz for optimum Movie experience,and 1080p60Hz for optimum gaming. Make sure at least 2 HDMI1.3 for higher bandwith throughput and DD+,DTS-HD and DTS-HDMA. lol last one was for receiver.

I see I'm looking at 32" Models now.

I think i'm gonna go with LCD I just got to get a good response time

Is there any difference on the brands. Samsung better than sony, etc?

samsung is good...
sony is good...some people dislike sony for various reasons, valid or not, their stuff is good ;)

looking at the pricing of things, Sharp seems to be lowering their products to within competition range. They'd previously have their aquos units 2-3g above others, but it's more reasonable now.
sharp, pioneer, viewsonic, lg, toshiba

don't overlook the lesser knowns like Olevia, Vizio, Niko, etc...can't go wrong with either of those I think.

out of all the brands...I never suggest Magnavox/Philips. There was a time when I saw the combo name Philips/LG...I was concerned LG was Philips or LG was absorbed into LG, I'm still not certain. But don't see it now and gladly.

Whatever you get, just make sure it has all the ports you need or are looking for.

I got a 42" Lg in my room it is nice so i wouldnt say count them out, I would however say that dont go for a cheap model, no reason to get a HDTV then skimp on a good one, to get a lower priced one. are you going for 1080p or 720p? BTW i just saw a 120Hz LCD yesterday it was amazing but very weird made everything look 3dish and i got dizzy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom