Has this ever happened to anyone before? [Car Problems]

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a lot of damage, need a new brake line, new caliper, new tire, new strut, a lot of things in there must be replaced, which, it don't appear to be happening any time soon. :(

There is a lot of damage, need a new brake line, new caliper, new tire, new strut, a lot of things in there must be replaced, which, it don't appear to be happening any time soon. :(

Times like this you start thinking Fix or Replace. I known some one else where thier suspension just gave away and it was going to cost to fix than what the car was worth.

Thing is, I just literally got the car a few months ago, for $600, and it has 200k+ on it, thats quite a bit for a 99....

some thing that I have found out over the years. The money that you don't spend up front on a car is the money you are going to are going to be putting into it over the following years. I remember having to come accross that choice with my Mazda 626 $#!+ box when found out that in just to get is passed rego, I was going to be up for $800 in repairs (and I was still looking at new tyres and a fauilt with the electricals.)
And the less money you spend on regulare car servicing is going to be the more money you are going to up for when some thing does break. Some thing that my brother in-law has yet to learn.

in your case, it the repairs work is going to cost for than $400, i would be start thinking about purchasing another car.

Yea, I don't think so, atleast not getting another car, it's hard to get a 2 door Grand Am for cheap, meh, gonna go around the junkyards tommorow for parts, shouldn't run over $200 for the parts, then the few hours to install the parts.

Holy crap dude, that must really suck. Ive got a 2001 Alero 2Dr (basically the exact same thing as your GA) with only about 72K miles that I found and talked the seller down to $2500 for it:D But even with this low of mileage both of my rear struts are gone, so im going to need to replace them sometime soon. And Ive massed quite a knowledge of Grand Ams and Aleros so if you got a question, I certainly can help ;)

I hit a bump with my Aurora once and sent it flying 50ft. Cracked the oil pan but the suspension still works, though now its like a water bed.

Springs are hard to break, now struts on the other hand, can easily get worn out, or blow out. That is what causes a "water bed" feel when in it, as the struts aren't returning your car to a proper point, and the springs are all that's really holding your car up, but they are wobbly and springy :p

That is even more dangerous... A spring compressor clamps around the spring in multiple areas, and locks around the entire thing so it can't slip, the tension literally, holds it tight so it can't slip either.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom