Hard drives and magnets...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trifid

Fully Optimized
I always thought that if you have a powerful magnet next to a hard drive than there was a possibility that it would corrupt the data. This is why you don't have a big sub next to your PC.

Anyway, taking apart a HDD (to use as a speaker obviously) there was the strongest magnet I have ever had the displeasure of pulling apart (and danger when putting back together (**** that thing flew) in-between the arm.

So is this a myth? Or was there some fancy jazz going on with it creating some special magnetic field or something. :p

The data on the hard drive is stored with the magnet.

A second magnet will mess it up. Like running a magnet on your credit card- it reorders the magneticly stored data and destroys it.

I love taking apart broken HDs and playing with the magnets. :D

IIRC, it takes a rather strong magnet just to corrupt data a bit and an even stronger one to get it to the point where it's completely unrecoverable.

Talk is you can put a pretty strong magnet right on top of your hard drive without loosing data. Of course hard drives are magnetic media so its not exactly a good idea, but generally speaking I think you're pretty safe from magnetic interference.

Hard drives are pretty safe from weak or everyday magnetic interferences. The metal case also helps to keep the hard drive safe.

When you take apart the hard drive, the two magnets you see are known as Neodymium magnets. These magnets are super strong. They have the ability to clip your finger.

How about keeping your subwoofer next to your computer case? They have magnets too, could it just be powerful enough to corrupt hard drives or does the computer case keep magnetic fields of ?

I havent had problems yet, maybe my subwoofer is just too weak.

How about keeping your subwoofer next to your computer case? They have magnets too, could it just be powerful enough to corrupt hard drives or does the computer case keep magnetic fields of ?

I havent had problems yet, maybe my subwoofer is just too weak.

Subs don't have enough magnetic force to corrupt a hard drive.

If you felt the magnet inside the hdd you would know that a sub is less.

I damaged a nail trying to separate them[/girlvoice] :p

If you felt the magnet inside the hdd you would know that a sub is less.

I damaged a nail trying to separate them[/girlvoice] :p

I got one of those magnets on my fridge. It's a ***** to move, but at least it means I am not going to loose my shopping list or petrol vouchers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom