Hard decision

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emily

Daemon Poster
Ok I've got a hard decision to make and I need advice! :D I've been looking for a new flute for a few months now in about the $3000-$5000 range. I've found a lot of good ones but none that I really am in love with.

Now I'm looking at this really, really nice one that I LOVE. It's about twenty years old, in mint condition, and it's almost double in value since it was bought. Problem is that it's, er, a little expensive (cough$9000cough) which I know seems like a crazy amount to spend on a flute, but it's a really really nice flute. So my parents said they would contribute $8000 if I paid for $1000 of it and put off getting my license till I'm 17.

The $1000 isn't the problem (I have some money saved up from competitions and stuff), but I've been really looking forward to driving, and now I'll have to wait an extra year. But I love this flute... sooo... any advice? :confused:

Go for the "now" Em!
You have plently of time to come up with a plan on getting your drivers license and ability to drive on time.
I did something similar when I was your age. Not going to give any details here but let's just say that I got my wish when I was 15 and also was able to "puppy dog" my way to the more important future goal of getting my license on time.

Besides.....have you been to a gas station recently?
When I first started to drive, gas was (given, at a low, but still...) $0.89 a gallon. Are you really looking forward to paying $2.50 for gas? LOL

I agree with Mike on this one, Em. If you consider that the year wait is worth $8000 on something that you love and may well go up in value, then it seems well worth it.

But remember, it's certainly up to you.

Dave :D

Go for the flute :) You'll have plenty of years to drive but maybe just this one opportunity to get the flute you really like :)

Ok... thanks guys. :) I think it's gonna be the flute. The other thing about driving is that ever since school let out I've been getting pretty much everywhere I've wanted to go on my bike, which is just generally better than driving.

:)
car = freedom

its obvious the flute means something to you... just like a computer to someone else or really "anything" etc.

depending on your situation, 1 year delay in a car could be a lifetime :)

HOWEVER, this is a true statement:
"The best way to go out on the lake is in your FRIEND's boat"

although a car and boat are no comparision... you get my point.

If your friends have cars and can get you around town, go for the flute.
But, IMO, don't discount the idea of "car = freedom"

good luck

Ya, I agree with Larr-Bear. It all depends on whether a car would impact your social life or not. Like Larry said, if your friends all drive and are cool about driving you, than I'de say get the flute because it seems you really love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom