Hack Apple iPhone

Should Apple PROVIDE a tool/software to the government to crack the phone? Absolutely not.

Should Apple extract the information and provide just that to the government? Absolutely.

My reasoning? The b**** surrendered all privacy rights when she and her idiot husband opened fire on innocent people. Even if she was still breathing I would say the same. Also, since she is dead privacy is no longer a concern.

Again, Apple should not give the government a reusable tool or program, but they should try to extract and give the info to the authorities.

This issue with providing a tool or extracting the data, is that, Apple do not have a tool to do this themselves, if created, means others can get there hands on it AND will get there hands on it.

So either way its a lose/lose.

I have to stand by Apple otherwise, the courts will have a leg to stand on in making backdoors to everything and give the key to the Gov - then people will steal from the Gov (either employees or third party)

In the 90s we didn't have encryption withholding evidence for national security. The person is dead, there's no right to the data anymore and Apple more than likely has it.

The issue here is they don't need a backdoor, they are using this as an excuse to get a backdoor. They can subpoena for the evidence on the phone which as I was saying Apple would more than likely hand over. Apple have every right IMO to tell them they are overstepping their bounds because they are.

Very true and good point on accessing there email to reset password, its the easiest way! They have their PCs etc at home, I bet you can pull there passwords off there

In the 90s we didn't have encryption withholding evidence for national security.

We kind of did. You burned or otherwise destroyed things you didn't want being found. It's the same thing, really.

The person is dead, there's no right to the data anymore and Apple more than likely has it.

This is a tough subject to argue. After a musical artist dies, their work is still protected for 70 years after their death (What happens to a copyright when the copyright holder dies? | New Media Rights). Would something like this apply to a deceased person's data? Two great articles around this:

Digital assets and death: Who owns music, video, e-books after you die?

The Economist explains: Who owns your data when you're dead? | The Economist

The issue here is they don't need a backdoor, they are using this as an excuse to get a backdoor. They can subpoena for the evidence on the phone which as I was saying Apple would more than likely hand over. Apple have every right IMO to tell them they are overstepping their bounds because they are.

It is an excuse, you're right. I think we're saying the same thing and are both on the same page here, but I don't think Apple has access to this person's data on the phone, otherwise they would just hand it over.

We kind of did. You burned or otherwise destroyed things you didn't want being found. It's the same thing, really.

This is a tough subject to argue. After a musical artist dies, their work is still protected for 70 years after their death (What happens to a copyright when the copyright holder dies? | New Media Rights). Would something like this apply to a deceased person's data? Two great articles around this:

Digital assets and death: Who owns music, video, e-books after you die?

The Economist explains: Who owns your data when you're dead? | The Economist

It is an excuse, you're right. I think we're saying the same thing and are both on the same page here, but I don't think Apple has access to this person's data on the phone, otherwise they would just hand it over.
Phones were regularly tapped in an analog age too making that moot. They could get any evidence they wanted right from that. "Wearing a wire" was a lot more common too. Don't need the evidence when you can get it on a recording and rule on that.

As to the data, Copyright != personal data. The patent and copyright system has already been proven to be faulty in many ways. In the case of this particular person she has no rights on US soil dead or not due to being a militant terrorist, and on that bombshell (heh) they have every right to search through her personal data on the grounds of national security. Due to this fact they probably already have extracted the info they need, but want to try to use the situation as a way to spy on iOS devices. I know that's already been said several times but I feel it needs to be driven home that this particular thing isn't about data. It's a cloak and dagger.

Tapped phones had to be approved with reasonable cause otherwise they weren't valid in court and you can still wear a wire. Heck, it would be harder to find a wire now than ever before, although the dead can't talk. ;) I feel like a dead person's encrypted data is much like they set fire to the house full of evidence as they died. You might get a little, but most of it is probably lost.

Either way, you're right. It's a way for the FBI to try to get more access than they really need.

And getting access to encrypted data from a terrorist's phone is cake getting through court.
As to this person's data, nah all of it's going to be there and like I said before I highly bet they already have it and just want a backdoor.

They can be handed the data unencrypted, the whole point is the gov wanting Apple to hand them a backdoor access so they don't need to ask for permission anymore.

I think you would be both impressed and scared to see what Apple can do over a cellular network to an iPhone.

I know what is possible over cellar networks with MiTMA, sniffing etc, but don't see what this has to do with accessing the data stored within the phone itself?...:cool:

Back
Top Bottom