Greasy keyboard, your tips and tricks.

The problem isn't really anything of your doing, the vast majority of keyboards, even many high end ones, use ABS plastic for the keys which has the nasty property of absorbing oil and once that's happened there really isn't anything you can do about it that I have seen. Also jus a warning but solvents can melt ABS so I wouldn't try anything to crazy to clean it.

A keyboard with PBT keys will be much more resilient to oil but odds are you will pay a lot for it since only high end keyboard makers will bother to spend extra for it.

I am very annoyed by greasy keyboards also so I keep mine somewhat obsessively clean, mine also has rubberized keys that seem to clean well so far.

If I end up picking up a mechanical keyboard for work I am halfway tempted to try applying an oleophobic coating to the keys to see if that keeps them from getting greasy.
Yea I was figuring the same thing. Was hoping for possibly a nonkeyboard****ingup solution to cleaning the thing. And actually today I noticed my Logitech is now greasy feeling too even though the plastic is completely different. I wish Razer would have sent me the standard Lycosa instead with the rubber keys.

Yea I was figuring the same thing. Was hoping for possibly a nonkeyboard****ingup solution to cleaning the thing. And actually today I noticed my Logitech is now greasy feeling too even though the plastic is completely different. I wish Razer would have sent me the standard Lycosa instead with the rubber keys.

Yeah, wish there was a suitable cleaner but I have tried just about everything I could think of other than harsh solvents on the stupid things at one point or another with no real success. You would think that companies would have figured this out by now but even Logitech still uses the wrong materials as you said, I have noticed that my work G600 is starting to get greasy and I have always kept it very clean and never eat at my desk.

The only thing I have thought of but not tried is an abrasive cleaner like those Mr. clean magic erasers. I would try one and let you know but I used the last one I had on my Miata 's wheels.

Well the weird thing is like I was saying in my first post. This hasn't ever been an issue until just recently. I've always eaten at my desk too. Just push it kinda behind the monitor, then when I'm done go wash my hands and bring it back. My mouse isn't greasy anywhere except the left button where my finger sits. As I'm typing this my keyboard feels like it's gradually getting greasier as I'm typing but I haven't had anything today.

The more I think about it, the more I feel it has something to do with the water here and washing my hands. I've owned this Lycosa since 09, but I've never used it while living here on this property. This is the first time I've used it living here with the bad water.

can you pop off the key caps on the lycosa? I can't remember, if you could or not. I usually just pull off the key caps on my keyboard and throw them into a jar, wash and rinse them out with dish washing soap (dawn?). works wonders.

if you can't pop off them key caps, do you have a spare keyboard? throw the whole keyboard into the dish washer and let it dry for a day or 2 before plugging it back into your pc.

Yea I can pop them off and unfortunately I've already done that =/
Using exactly Dawn, the regular kind (if there is such a thing). It's a ***** to get the spacebar back on too. It helped for a few days but that's it. I won't ever wash another keyboard in the dishwasher. It's what killed the lighting on my Fatal1ty.

The finish on the lycosa mirror is just a PITA :p

looked awesome when it's clean, but it just gets dirty so quickly.

The finish on the lycosa mirror is just a PITA :p

looked awesome when it's clean, but it just gets dirty so quickly.
Yea it really is. I don't really care about looks but the feel. Since it's so smooth if it gets any kind of grease at all your fingers just slip everywhere. I really can't wait to buy a new keyboard.

Back
Top Bottom