Got a ticket but court is 5+ hours away

Status
Not open for further replies.
hercules_upw said:
Finally, if you don't pay or show up for court, they'll issue a warrant for your arrest. If you get pulled over again in Kentucky(?) they'll haul you to jail. Fine you, impound your car, and so on. Bottom line is that you don't want to take the "do nothing" route.

Keywords = If you get pulled over again in Kentucky :D

Hahaha, just keep the travel to Kentucky as light as possible. Thats if you really want to avoid any court days or expenses. We at TF are trying to give you suggestions to both sides.... The legal and the illegal way of getting things done.

Like when I went to Canada ( quebec ) we got issued a ticket for $45 or something like $55 canadian. Hahahaha, Like I am going to pay them? I bet if we ever went up there again they would impound the car.. But that is if we ever go up again.

Canada can eat that $45....

hercules_upw said:
BTW: They wont give you a trial by jury if you request it. There are no trials like that for traffic tickets.

http://usinfo.state.gov/usa/infousa/facts/funddocs/billeng.htm
Amendment VI

In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the state and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the assistance of counsel for his defense.

Amendment VII

In suits at common law, where the value in controversy shall exceed twenty dollars, the right of trial by jury shall be preserved, and no fact tried by a jury, shall be otherwise reexamined in any court of the United States, than according to the rules of the common law.

Oh yeah, you can easily bring a speeding ticket to court. Somone I know is doing that pretty soon the court date is set and everything...

I just learned, a police officer can't fallow you for 5 miles here in kentucky trying to catch up to you, they have to call ahead and have another one pull out and get ya.....

sure you can ask for a jury trial.... if you're lucky, the cop(s) involved won't show up. if you do, you're probably in trouble....because when they do go through the effort to show up, they will have details of radar/laser maintenance, training certificates, etc.

Also, were you clocked by radar or laser? if it was laser (sometimes called LIDAR) don't even bother trying to fight it in court.

now you if were traveling that speed within a pack of cars and you were clocked using radar, you could attempt to fight it because radar picks up the largest and fastest object because of its rather unfocused beam.

here's the thing though. you were going that fast and you were accurately clocked. fighting it in court would likely end up with you still having the points assessed, having to pay the fine, and having to pay court fees.

if it was me (and it has been me a few times) i would just pay the ticket ($195 isnt that bad) and take a driving course if you can do that in your state.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom