Got a ticket but court is 5+ hours away

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thresh

Desktop Engineer
Here's the story, I was driving back home to Richmond, VA from Bedford, IN and I was in the middle of Kentucky in the big open highways and few cars. It's a 10 hour drive so I decide 65 speed limit is just too slow and I felt like I was getting nowhere, especially since I'm sort of an impatient guy when it comes to driving. So I'm going 85 now for about an hour or so when I see lights flashing from the other side of the road, so I figure, **** someones screwed. Then he jumps the median. Oh shit. Now he's behind me and I've already slowed down but it was too late and I was thinking "maybe it's someone in front of me" but nope, it was me. He got right up on my ass so I pulled over and he came up to the window "License and Registration please." So I give the officer my fake ID and registration, and he goes to check it out. I then BOLT and I take off so quick he doesn't have a chance to catch up in time before I take the next exit. Actually, i'm kidding. But I give him my license and title, because I had just gotten the car. He came back and said I was clocked at 85 in a 65. He said there's a fine of $195 and it has to be paid to the address by this time. I also have to go to court in Owingsville Kentucky, 5 hours away???? I'm assuming a was clocked a few miles back but I didn't get pulled for some reason, instead someone comes from the other side of the highway. And here's the thing. The address on my license is wrong, the car wasn't even in my name yet, I didn't have insurance on the car, and on top of all that I was pulled in Kentucky. This is my first ticket, and my insurance company doesn't know I got one for some reason. This is f'd up, I'm tempted to not even pay it just because I don't have the cash, well I do, but I won't be buying Christmas presents this year. I work every day of the week except 1 day, and thats random. I just requested time off work for visiting family for thanksgiving, so I cant request anymore. So, what the hell? Is there no way around this or atleast to make it cheaper and a different court location? I asked some friends and someone said they think theres a way. Any Ideas?

Demand a trial by jury. They have to give you one because it's in the consitution. But since it's just a speeding ticket, they won't want to go through the hassle, and they'll just throw it out. You can hire a lawyer to do all the paperwork for a lot cheaper than what that ticket will cost you. I don't know if this actually works or not, but I've talked to a few online friends who said they've done this. I'd say it's at least worth researching.

DJ-CHRIS said:
Don't feel sorry for you, ya broke the law and your paying the price.

I thought someone would say this. Yes, I broke the law, but for what it's worth I don't speed when there are other people around. I've been complimented about my good driving on several occasions and aced my drivers ed course, which many failed. I also plan to start competing in autox soon, so I'm pretty confident in my driving abilities. And it's also easy for you to say, your not in the position I am right now. Try and not be so cold hearted, I wasn't "endangering" anyone :)

beardo526, thanks for the advice, I'll see what I can do.

That's unfortunate man.

Personally, I hate traffic laws. I think there are a lot more things to worry about on the road than a person speeding. For example, all those young punks that drive like maniacs. Heck, I did that a few years ago too. Luckily, no accidents for me. I had a buddy who got in to 3 accidents in like 2 frikkin months! He was around 19 years old at the time I'd say. His Dad was in the insurance business.. But after like 5 accidents, even that guy can't do anything. So he drive "without" insurance. :rolleyes:

And there are SO many drivers with slow reflexes. My God. WHY are these people on the road??!.. They cause so many problems.

I mean just look at the autobahns in Germany. Do you think they have more accidents? If they did, they'd change the laws!!!..

And cell phones. Who gives a crap if you use a cellphone if u can drive without any problems. I think banning people from driving for bad reflexes is a much more important thing.

Every driving exam should have an in-house component where the candidates are forced to play Quake 3 or Unreal Tournament against each other. If you are in the bottom half, NO LICENSE FOR YOU!!! :mad:

Chankama said:
Every driving exam should have an in-house component where the candidates are forced to play Quake 3 or Unreal Tournament against each other. If you are in the bottom half, NO LICENSE FOR YOU!!! :mad: [/B]

I like this idea.

On another note, I think your insurance rate should be based off your drivers ed course score. Me being 19 and a male, I pay an insane amount, because they are assuming I am going to wreck basically. There were some in my class that shouldn't even be driving but got their license anyway. Regardless, even if they pay the high insurance rates, they shouldn't be out on the road as bad of drivers as they are. And for the most part it's just ignorance, they think the car drives itself and they will never have to make sudden turns of any sort.

****, im 16 and im insured under my parents 1996 dodge grand caravan and i pay ~60 per month. I took drivers ed and some other classes though. If i buy my own car it would also go down abit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom