Got banned... question about IP

Status
Not open for further replies.

og5

Baseband Member
So I got banned from another forum (was asking for cheat codes which I guess was bannable) and I'm kind of bummed out because I used that forum a lot. When I try to go back the page says that my IP has been banned, which is strange because I have cable so I thought I had a dynamic IP that constantly changes. Is this true or no? :bald:

Ban evasion....you can get a more severe ban if you try that. :) And if that forum really dislikes you they'll report you to your ISP who after getting enough bad reports about you may decide that they don't want any customers that are trouble makers.

Anyway, try resetting your modem? That usually does it.

or, you could try contacting the admins or moderators and explaining to them that you didn't realize that it was against the rules, regardless of how stupid that sounds. Tell them that you won't make that mistake again and ask for another chance.

If they are cool, they will allow you another chance.

og5 said:
So I got banned from another forum (was asking for cheat codes which I guess was bannable) and I'm kind of bummed out because I used that forum a lot. When I try to go back the page says that my IP has been banned, which is strange because I have cable so I thought I had a dynamic IP that constantly changes. Is this true or no? :bald:

It doesn't change constantly, it changes at a set inverval, mine changes once a month. With some providers, you can unplug the cable modem, and plug it back in, and the reconnect will refresh your IP address. You may want to try that. :)

Unless you are using a router you can open a command prompt and type "ipconfig /release" without the quotes of course then hit enter wait a few minutes and type "ipconfig /renew" hit enter. you should have a different IP address. If not, keep doing this until you do. Your ISP sends out new addresses at specified intervals, just like The General mentioned. If a request went out for a new IP after you released yours, and before you tried to renew, they could get yours and you get a new one. Your computer tries to get the same address if it can first, then takes whatever it can get.
Now of course that doesn't mean they didn't block an entire range of addresses just to be sure you don't try that. If you have a router they blocked the IP of your router. Of course they may use MAC address blocking in which case you are screwed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom