Google block. Questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The beauty of a free email address, such as Yahoo, or MSN is that you know you will always have that address (as long as they stay in business of course). It's dependable and you can feel confident giving it out to your friends because you know it will not change.

ISP email's are not so dependable because YOU might change ISP's one day and suddenly your email address ceases to exist!

Now you have to call all of your friends and family and tell them that your ISP's email address that you gave them is no longer valid.

With a free email account you will probably never have to do that. I have an email account with my ISP but I never use it because I'm not sure if I will always have my ISP. I might change.

Now, with Google offering a gig of space....I think this is huge!! What a great free service. I only get four megs with yahoo so I can forget about receiving any files that are over four megs. With Googles new email service, I can receive all the pictures from friends and family that I want!!

How can you not like that?? I don't give a crap about ads in my email.... the internet is run on ads and we can't escape it no matter how much we gripe about it.

I think it's a great service from Google! My hats off to them.

Like everything, it has its ups and downs. I personally dont have any use for a gig of space for email. I'll give it a whirl, and if i don't like it I'll just forget about it. No big deal.

ZeroCool said:
Do you not pay for your ISP? That's not free E-mail.

dont you PAY for your Internet Access, The email is a added bonus...

If you use Outlook to access it, well then you have about as much storage as your own computer can hold, and you can alwasy upgrade the torage, and archive it... and your ISP isn't going to add advertisments, nor are they going to index it.

Still a gig is a huge amount for online free storage.

sure a gig is a huge amount...i personally have no use for THAT MUCH space tho. The advertisements will get annoying after a while too .

yeah i have had one of my emails now for almost 5 years, and I have only needed to keep about 90 megs of that data stored.

sure of you want to store all of your pictures and videos and lots and lots and lots and lots of crap there then ok, but my desktop computer does a good job of that with a 100 gig drive...
and no one is scanning it and adding advertisments...

hygor said:
I've got 5 proper pop3 accounts, a hotmail account, 3 forwarding accounts and an imap account... so what would i possibly need another bloody email address for.... bah to google i say... bah to them all!

DITTO!

I'm not willing to let Google (of whom I hate with a passion) scan my emails. I also don't want stupid ads in my emails. And anymore, is one gig really that much? And free email is all over the place. I get free email service with my internet provider. I also have two Hotmail accounts. And I also plan on getting an Apple mail account when I buy my next mac.

First thing, I do not understand how ANYONE can hate google with a passion, but that is pure opinion.

Anyhow, one gig is that much. Giving out that much space per person is going to cost them a lot. Free email may be all over the place, but I haven't found anything free (excluding ISPs email, which, whether free or not, is essentially exclusive for the particular users of the given ISP) that is over 10 MB. Hotmail doesn't even give us three...

The reason for the ads in the emails is so that there CAN BE 1 gigabyte per person. According to what I've read, no actual person reads your emails...it's one of the Google robot programs that already is used to scan the content of webpages that use Google Adsense. The reason that it is scanned is so that the ads (like with Adsense) are relevent, hence people are more likely to click them. Google advertising is already subtle enough so that I would assume that these email ads are ignorable.

If people are not confortable with the scanning system, they do not have to sign up. Before banning GMail completely, they could force Google to put big and clear warnings about the issues in the sign-up system. I am personally completely alright with it...the gigabyte of online storage really appeals to me. If you don't like the system, then the solution is simple: Don't sign up!

ZeroCool said:
You know the air you breath? Free, right? The town payed for those trees. Trees make carbon dioxide into oxygen, which you then breath. So technically it's not free.

but you pay taxes to get those trees planted, lol. But even so, did you know that an argument like that is stupid. Also, if you have been through a highschool biology class you would have learned about 98 percent of our oxygen, nitrogen, and .1 percent inert gasses, are created by green algae, lol, not trees.

so in essence trees have nothign to do with the Air we breathe. They are there for natural habitats for organisms, and they make sure that there are no mudslides by holding the dirt together with their roots.

well, you learned something new didnt you.

and that little tid bit had nothign to do with google, free or non-free email... or anything...

i forone always enjoy learning somethign new everyday.. so thanks

now back to our regularly scheduled program...

I agree with a few posts back... you dont want it, dont sign up for it...

I for one dont need 1 gig of storage.. like i said i have over one hundred gigs now that i don't knwo what to do with... As much as i'd like to say that i get so many informative and interesting and important emails... it comes down to the fact that .... i dont...
40-50% of the emails I get are spam... 30% are from friends and family with pics and fun "important things" Latley 10-20% are from this forum alone... lol

the rest are stupid jokes, and links to games and other crap I just delete anyway... oh and those important virus warnings that tell you to delete files imediatly.... BLAAAAAAAA

1 gig yeah its a lot.. but how much "stuff" do i really need...
soon some one will have a 5 gig email storage...some day 10.... our grand kids will get a terabyte of storage for their little stuff... their kids will have petabytes... AHHHH
i need a drink...
when will it end.... i can't take it anymore.... i am going outside with the 3 dimensional people........

:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom