good printers?

techmasher

Beta member
Looking for the best color printers, It doesn't matter if its old tech like dot matrix stuff of if its laser, it should be durable. Budget isn't any issue. Also can any expert tell me the integrity of this post? are these options mentioned in this article are any good? https://appuals.com/best-color-laser-printers/

Last edited by a moderator:
If it's literally just printing you want to do, then there's some excellent mid-to-top-tier choices like the Epson SC-P800 which produce *stunning* images and are dead easy to use. But pricey.
Or for less moolah & MFC capabilities there's the XP-960 which'll do some very kick *** quality A3 borderless prints as well as copy/scan.

Just bear in mind, any inkjet you get needs to be used regularly, or you'll start having issues. If you don't need super high quality prints, you might be better off going laser. Toner cartridges will sit pretty happily for ages without being used and still be good to go. But they can't replicate the insane color and detail of an inkjet

If it's literally just printing you want to do, then there's some excellent mid-to-top-tier choices like the Epson SC-P800 which produce *stunning* images and are dead easy to use. But pricey.
Or for less moolah & MFC capabilities there's the XP-960 which'll do some very kick *** quality A3 borderless prints as well as copy/scan.

Just bear in mind, any inkjet you get needs to be used regularly, or you'll start having issues. If you don't need super high quality prints, you might be better off going laser. Toner cartridges will sit pretty happily for ages without being used and still be good to go. But they can't replicate the insane color and detail of an inkjet

You can get Inkjets with amazing printer quality yeah. But they're still terrible devices imo. Just something about every printer in existence which makes them extremely unreliable.

Where I work we've probably used 30 different models of printers. I'm talking everything from $30 desktop inkjets, to $10,000 enterprise Xerox's that are designed for 10K+ pages a day, to $50,000 commercial grade printers the size of a small room for leaflets and posters.

Every single god damn one of them was ****. So ****ing ****. Yah they make good quality printouts, and yah some of them do 100 pages per minute. But they all break down. A lot. Every few months. I'd say we have a printer engineer in the office every single week of the year. Albeit we have heavy workloads, but still. I've yet to find a reliable printer in any price range.

You can get Inkjets with amazing printer quality yeah. But they're still terrible devices imo. Just something about every printer in existence which makes them extremely unreliable.

Where I work we've probably used 30 different models of printers. I'm talking everything from $30 desktop inkjets, to $10,000 enterprise Xerox's that are designed for 10K+ pages a day, to $50,000 commercial grade printers the size of a small room for leaflets and posters.

Every single god damn one of them was ****. So ****ing ****. Yah they make good quality printouts, and yah some of them do 100 pages per minute. But they all break down. A lot. Every few months. I'd say we have a printer engineer in the office every single week of the year. Albeit we have heavy workloads, but still. I've yet to find a reliable printer in any price range.

That's why if you're a business and buy a printer from a vendor - you also get a support contract and if there's a breakdown, you just call them up to have them come out and fix it on site for you.

That's why if you're a business and buy a printer from a vendor - you also get a support contract and if there's a breakdown, you just call them up to have them come out and fix it on site for you.

Oh we don't even buy our printers. We have a printer service provider, and they just bill us monthly for our usage of whatever printers/toner/paper we ask for. They're pretty good actually, if you report a printer fault before mid day they will arrive before close of play that day to fix it.

Tbh I've been running both printers I mentioned for ~2-2.5 years, haven't had a single problem with either. Meanwhile we've had a few small canon desk printers and a standard home-style MFC go belly up due to clogged printheads and board failures. IMO anything marketed at your average home user is gonna be crap; costs more to buy the replacement ink than it does the ****ing printer ($98 for the printer + tiny set of initial inks, $121 for replacement ink set).
Our large format printer also needs work due to not being used enough (printhead clogs regularly) but otherwise is reliable enough. Haven't had to do more than print head cleans in the 5 years since I started this job.

I do think overall, printers are about the worst thing you could buy in terms of reliability and value. Excluding girlfriends :p

Back
Top Bottom