good ol' democracy

Status
Not open for further replies.
People, calm down. The Wikipedia is by definition completely neutral. It states the reasons why DST had been implemented in many countries, and it enumerates the flaws its critics claim the program has. It doesn't stand for or against DST. So stop pretending it does.

If you wanna have a debate on the usefulness of DST, then go ahead (I think it's allowed). Bring up your own arguments. Don't go around quoting neutral information sources.

Well at least its good to know the U.S. isn't the only country that elects the best and brightest ... from the bottem of the barrel.

heres another fun fact :p the MP who started the issue again is now apparently encouraging people to lobby against it XD

well i have experienced daylight savings and i personally do not like it, understood many people do. i just don't understand why the system would be used at all because it's just strange. humans trying to control time by changing the clocks :p.

no it doesn't really matter. what matters is i've lost faith in the state government. it is a trivial issue but one with much heated contest between people. coincidentally the labor party has brought all three referendums when they were in power and now introduced the three year trial........each time after something publicly embarassing such as the ineptitude of our current education minister (at the moment she claims she never saw a report on students being abused by teachers, a report that she explicitly answered a question on in parliament, on video). so here we have a smoke and mirrors gag to start public uproar about something else, anything else but their failings. mostly the objection to DST here is socio-political. it's just a principal really.

oh, Meithan that's some impressive diplomatic posting :D

nitestick, there's something you still haven't cleared out. Why have the three past referendums failed? If they failed because they didn't reach the necessary votes, then I don't think you should be blaming the government. But if there was some foul play on the part of the officers organizing it, then it's a different matter.

nitestick said:
oh, Meithan that's some impressive diplomatic posting :D

That was sarcasm, right?

no it's not, honestly i can't remember the last time someone actually made several posts trying to stop a thread going down hill in off topic :)

the previous referendums failed because they could not gather enough votes to go ahead, in this case more than 50% would have done it. so essentially three times a state majority has said they oppose it.

i'm told that any businesses that must communicate with branches in england are now screwed as during DST virtually no direct communication will be possible during business hours

Well, thank you, nitestick. There's no point in going off topic, specially when it's only flaming. Besides, I think what you're discussing is a serious issue.

nitestick said:
the previous referendums failed because they could not gather enough votes to go ahead, in this case more than 50% would have done it. so essentially three times a state majority has said they oppose it.

... had said they oppose canceling DST? That is, three times a state majority has said they want DST? If that's correct, then you shouldn't be mad at your state administration. I mean, they're a bunch of Vogons, granted, but it sounds like at least this time they did provide a mean for the people to express themselves, and a majority decided in favor of DST.

PS: is there a problem with URL and IMG tags? I get the code instead of the link or image. Maybe it's just me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom