GOOD GOD! Can you say price cuts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well lets see, I love my DFI Lanparty s939 board, I also love my 2GB RAM. What does that mean for me? It means if I go conroe I am going to have to buy a new motherboard (and I want something that can live up to the quality of my DFI Lanparty, and the conroe ones have been delayed. And you can bet that it will cost between $170-$220). And I will need 2GB of DDR2 and I am going to want some fast DDR2 add $200+ bucks then of course I would have to pay for the e6300 so through $183 to top it off. Your looking at spending over $550 if not more dollars. And a 4800+ will still own anygame out there, then I can oc to FX-60/62 speeds and that will own even more.

Of course if your building from ground up Conroe is pure ownage but for people who are just wanting to upgrade it's great. I don't think I can afford a new Conroe build + G80/R600. So I think I will just settle for a sub $300 dollar kick *** cpu and put the 250 towards the GPU.

So you conroe fanboys need to think outside the ****ing box.

yeah a s939 system would be perfect for my second system, i have a a8n32 sli laying right here, and a 3800x2 is outrageously cheap. my friends are rather poor so it would be nice to have someone to play bf2 and css with

Trotter said:
If I had the money I'd buy one.

Conroe may be faster, but I'm not ready to invest in a new CPU, AND a new motherboard, AND all-new RAM. That point is a coupl of years (or more) down the road.

Thank you trotter.

You have captured the reason for my posting this thread. At least some TF members still have some intelligence left.

I knew the conroe angle would pop up in here.

The bottomline is:
The 4800+ for the 939 platform @ $289 USD is one heck of a deal / upgrade option. Who would have ever thought that 6 months late the 4800+ would be slashed from over $800 to less then $300?

That's the point.

I don't see any reason why old CPUs for discontinued sockets should cost more than new ones that perform way better.

Can't help you to understand it, mi amigo.

Intel is trying bloody hard to gain back some ground, and at the prices the C2D are going for, they just might det some back. But, then, they flooded the channel a few months ago with dirt-cheap P4's and Celeron's, so they are having to swim through their own glut.

I'll just stick with what I've got, maybe upgrade a little when I get the cash, and see what the future brings.

apokalipse said:
I think AMD might be getting ready for something...

Yea, I agree. I think AMD is getting ready for a real ***-reaming, lol.

RockyZ said:
Well actually E6300 is pretty close to FX-62 even at stock. Its Dual Core with 2MB L2 Cache and it does super pi in 29 seconds. Fx-62 is 28?

The e6300 is STILL faster even if the 4800X2 is cheaper.

SuperPi times are not comparable cross-platform. Intel SuperPi times have always been faster than AMDs. Please try to make sense. Just because youre on the side of the stronger processor doesnt mean that you can go around and make ridiculous claims about is.

The Conroe is amazing, but its not a hack.

Even Generals claim that the E6300 > X2 4800+ is bold. The E6300 is as good as the X2 4800+, but rarely better.

--------------------

While the Conroe may indeed not be a good idea for S939 upgraders, its a must for anyone building a new computer with a decent budget. Just keep in mind that those of you that get these S939 processors, you are on the lower end of the performance bar. Dont expect to be able to flaunt your X2 4800+ anywhere, or you will be laughed at.

But I like how everyone jumped on the Opty165 bandwagon when those came out, and now everyone is suddenly so budget-conscious. As for the comment about us being made of money, the Opty 165 cost a whopping $325 at the time.

But whatever. You guys go have fun with your Semprons, since those will also run any game very well when overclocked.

You're saying that AMD and Intel benchmarks can't be compared because one is faster than the other? THATS WHY WE HAVE BENCHMARKS.

First of all, and a bit off topic, apparently the E6300 is FASTER than the X2 4800+ (and X2 5000+), but only in Battlefield 2. You would be hard-pressed to find another example, however, and one game is not enough to announce is better in the other 20 games that it matches or loses.

As for the above post; No, Im saying that -->SUPERPI<-- times are not comparable across Intel and AMD systems, simply because of the way each runs through SuperPi, and how SuperPi is calculated over specific hardware.

For example, a large part of SuperPi, though not the whole, is the cache on a system.

Intel processors benefit hugely from their higher caches in SuperPi. This is because of how Pi (3.1415, etc) is calculated. The process of calculating Pi in a computer is not the same as the process that a computer goes through when calculating Physics in a game, or feeding the GPU.

The huge benefit that Intels get in SuperPi does not translate into real-world benefits. This is what youre saying right now; OMFG, My processor is t3h pwns j00 cuz I calculate Pi so p00wnage fast, but t3h processor ish not as fast in games!

Yes, we have benchmarks. So go look at them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom