Getting back deleted files

Status
Not open for further replies.

htarvainen

Beta member
Is there any way to get back deleted files? I accidentally emptied the recycle bin and apparently my friend had put some stuff there that's important. I have win2k. thanks

Does Windows 2000 have system restore? If it does, you can just restore your computer to before when the files were still in the recycle bin.

Thanks! I managed to get the files back with a program called r-studio ntfs. Well, almost... the sizes look right but the photos and videoclips won't work at all for some reason. Is there something I can do?

ouch you might not be able to correct that unless you can restore those files again? not sure though.

oh and a funny story lol my friend at school he hid his stuff in the recycle bin so then teacher didnt know what he was doing lol...

The reason you can undelete files is that emptying the recycle bin doesn't actually 'delete' the file it just removes the refernce to the file in whatever database the format stores the lookup information for the file on the disk. This is far faster than actually writing over the file on the disk.

You can only recover a file if you have not written over any part of it on the disk. If you have the file will be incomplete and will most probably be corrupt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom