Get a refund on preinstalled Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

superdave1984

Repeat Offender
I found this very interesting.
Vista: How To Get Refunded on Prepackaged Vista

Just don't accept the software's end-user license agreement (EULA).

Most of us click that "I agree" box without ever thinking twice. But what if you don't agree with those terms and conditions? It gives you perfect fodder for going back to the computer manufacturer and demanding a refund on the software. After all, the EULA itself says to "contact the manufacturer or installer to determine their return policy for a refund or credit" if you don't agree with its policy.

One guy used this technique to score a fat $200 check from HP

Yes but at the same time. He has no OS to run on his nice new system. Unless he installs Linux.

^or he can just get an os from mr torrence for free?
But then you have to patch it all the time cause WGA is constantly updated and that trick is not fun.

But either way to be LEGIT, which we are here at Tech-Forums ;), you would have to run Linux.

I don't think its always $200, doesn't it have to do with the version? I don't think HP's going to pay you for declining the User Agreement for Home Basic now are we?

I already knew about this quite a while ago. I say suck it up and use Vista...it's not that bad... I guess if you really want to try and get a refund on it, and use a "acquired" OS (or just use Linux like Mak suggested...), go for it. I'm not stopping you.

I want to move Vista, but I'm going to add a little more RAM since I'm a hardcore gamer.. (well somewhat)

So is the FPS cut thing true or not? I don't want to drop my COD4 settings to Medium, I enjoy 800x600 @ High :)

It's called windows refund day - the linux boys have known about it for a while, they tried to get a refund from MS an MS said speak to the OEM's the OEM's said speak to MS we dont do that refund thats MS's problem but MS says oh no we don't do that the OEM's have to do it. Well it turned into a quagmire that ended up with no one geting a refund with MS selling OS's that where unused an HP, Compaq, Dell etc sitting prity because there is no proper defanition on who HAS to give the refund and you are fully entiteld to it for a unused copy of windows. I think MS will keep it this way because they like it, AH it's a lovely word when the legal crap gets in the way of what you are entitled to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom