geek squad is retarded

Status
Not open for further replies.
macdude425 said:
I could never condescend to that level. Could you?
Some of it is pure idiocy; they've told me before that 400GB harddrives didn't exist in any form or fashion.
I actually applied for Best Buy and Geeksquad before I realized that they both suck. I had a couple of phone conversations with some pretty rude people (how DARE I call and check up on my application!) and then called it quits. It was about that time that my current employer called ME and asked for an interview. Nice! :D

Here's something for you guys:
This was posted on resellerratings.com - which I am sure most of u are familiar with..

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller1761.html

-------------------------------------------------------------

Say whatever you want, but i actually sat down and read every single post about future shop on this website. I did it because i work for future shop and i want to know what the customers didnt seem to like. Yes mr/mrs customer... we care...
anyway... after reading all of them i have a few things to say..
First of all, if you want to be treated well, here are some tips...
1. Treat the sales person like a HUMAN BEING... you do this to people you meet on the street. is it too much to ask when you are shopping?
2. Dont treat the sales guy like he owes you something... sometimes i approach people to see if they need any help and i get these stares like i just asked him for both of their kidneies. If a sales person asks you if you need help and you are just looking just say "just looking for now but if i need anything i will come ask you" is that so hard?
3. Dont ask the sales people things you know they cannot answer or dont have the authority to do... for example dont ask "Where is my rebate?" the rebates come from the manufacturer and if you are absolutely fed up with the manufacturer and want to talk to someone at FS, ask for a manager... he is the only one that can help you... or dont ask "Why is this this price?" they just are.. sales associate has no control over it... or "whats on sale next week?" the sales guy doesnt know till D-Day and if he does he cant tell you.
4. When an associate says "hi how are you" no need to say "just looking"... say fine... thank you.. isnt that the answer you want when you ask someone that question?
5. Dont DEMAND things you are NOT ENTITLED TO. Example... DEMANDING a return 2 months after purchase, or on opened software, or FREE two-day service which you were told you DONT get under manfuacturer's warranty because you would need to the deal with the manufacturer if you do not take the service plan...
6. Dont LIE! we all know "customer is always right".. but here i will tell you a story... 2 days ago.. a customer came and asked me to suggest him a game that was like Battlefield 1942... I told him that it wasnt my department but since i am a gamer i will try to help him if he wants me to.. so i suggest to him "get medal of honor... it is a great game..." he says thanks for your help and i proceed to help others... Next day he comes back.. comes up to me with a grin on his face and says to me "You told me this game will work on a laptop... i told you i have a laptop and you said it would work on any laptop and now since its opened i cant return it.. THANKS A LOT PAL!" then he asks for my manager... let me tell you my problems with this. 1. i would never say that game would work on a laptop (eventhough it works on some).. i am a gamer and i know it wouldnt.. i wasnt trying to make a sale.. i didnt even process the sale or put my tag on it..i wanted nothing but to help a fellow gamer... 2. he never ever told me he had a laptop.. our conversation consisted of about 12 words (aside from the hi how are yous) 3. i informed him that this wasnt my department and also as my manager told him when he tried to get me in trouble for something that was his fault.. it is his responsibility to know what his machine is capable of and there is a reason the requirements are on the box.... this guy was willing to get me in trouble.. put my job in jeapordy just so he can return a game he paid $50 for... now i dont know if he was telling the truth at all about the game working.. if i had to speak from experience i would say he took it home.. made himself a copy.. wrote down the cdkey and returned it to us... but anyway

Okay now here is some facts about FS:
1. The SALES ASSOCIATES are NOT on commission (on 99% of the stuff)... (that 1 is not a tip i just squeezed it in there)
2. We are REQUIRED to present the service plan to everyone so dont blame a guy for doing his job right.. and also many of us including myself BELIEVE in the service plan.. i have had many good experiences with it even before i was hired... (spending 50$ on warranties and getting video card replaced by a better 1 almost every year.. total value at least 800$)
3. A lot of the associates do actually try to help you.. and the others who dont.. they used to.. but if you live through a year of what we have to put up with from customers, you will know why they dont anymore... Being a sales rep at FS is not easy.. you have to balance between doing as much of the sometimes ridiculous stuff you are asked to do by management while at the same time satisfying the customer as much as possible.. not to mention it is all for very little pay.. I enjoy my job.. if i was doing it for money i would have left a LONG time ago... cause i can earn more doing less

One last thing, being a commission sales person (the 40-50% of us that are excluding myself) is not a crimeÂ… dont make talk about it like it is one

anyway.. to sum up.. keep in mind the sales associates are people too... try treating us like people... you might be surprised how well you will be treated back... thank you

lol I dug up this jewel from a script bot with the name of steven :D

Thank you for your email.

We appreciate any feedback that will allow us to improve the service we provide consumers. Please be assured that we are currently re-evaluating all processes and procedures regarding our stores and web site. Also, we are assessing the functionality of our web site to ensure it is more user friendly.

Again, we would like to apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused and we hope you will allow us the opportunity to provide you with improved service in the future.

We would like to thank you for shopping at futureshop.ca. Should you have further questions or comments, please do not hesitate to contact us at 1-800-663-2275 or email websupportcan@futureshop.com.

Sincerely,

Steven
Customer Care
Future Shop

*********** REPLY PARTITION ***********

Dear Futureshop,

I have been looking at the computer parts and prebuilt computers that
are stocked within your store located in Ajax, as well as in your web
store, and it has raised my eyebrows as to the number of
configurations and new technologies and hardware which you don't seem
to stock in any of your stores.

I found it quite suprising that such a reputable, large scale store
that has labeled themselves as "futureshop" would not carry 10,000 RPM
hard drives, newer ATi and nVidia cards such as the 6800GT Ultra,
Radeon x800 and x850, DDR533 memory, and other new, high end
technologies. Your prebuilt computers do not even feature dual hard
drives, let alone any set up in any sort of RAID array, and you do not
have any computers utilizing nVidia's SLI technology.

Also, your selection of high quality, high performance parts seems to
be rather low. You don't seem to stock a large variety of cases and
cooling solutions, which are essential to preventing damage to
equipment, and you don't even carry some brands that are by far
superior to the products you are currently selling, such as OCZ
and Corsair for memory, Antec and OCZ for power supplies, Lian Li for cases,
Abit, DFI and MSI for motherboards, and Seagate for hard drives.
Surely you want your customers to recieve the parts that will provide
them with the best performance, and these brands I have listed above
are all very reputable in both the technically literate world, and in
benchmarks.

In addition to these rather bizzare trends, you seem to retail your
hardware much higher than smaller, local computer hardware businesses.
Surely such a large, trusted and reputable retail company such as
yourselves could slash your prices down to meet these much smaller
stores.

I am perfectly well aware of your price match gurantee which matches
the price of anything retailed lower plus 10% pf the difference, but
that does not give an excuse to attempt to sell something that is
ridiculously overpriced compared to other stores.

Basically, are you aware that you are not supplying your costumers
with the best parts and configurations availible to provide the best
performance? If so, why are you so reluctant to stock and sell these
new technologies? Are your technicians not qualified enough to
understand a simple RAID 1 array?

Thank you for your time in reading this, it has just extremely puzzled
me as to why the largest and probably most trusted computer hardware
source in Canada is not offering new technology (some of which has
been availible for months!) to its costumers.

Excellent Post Chankama! Being a salesperson myself I can relate to everything you've said and I think you've raised many valid points.

lol.. I didn't write that man :p.. I don't work at Future Shop.. This was written by some dude who works there. I just copy and pasted from the link I included :)

One time though, one guy really irritated me.. I was buying BJ printer and buddy was trying to sell me the "extended warranty"..

ME: "Oh no thank you. I don't want it"

Sales guy: (with a ridiculous look on his face as if I am crazy) "But why?!.. It's only $6 dollars more, and you get extra protection for 1 more year. What if it breaks, that's $50 wasted"..

ME: "Oh I'll just fix it"

Sales guy: "Yeah but you have to buy the parts and it's really complicated"..

ME:
(instead of trying to explain to him further why I do not want to buy an insurance policy that is set up to benefit them in the long run)

I just said "Thank you" and walked away..
----------------

Overall, I don't find them too bad though.. Then again, I don't really ask them for advice.. They are sales people.. I just ask them to "take me to that item".. lol

onyo said:
so he says "geek squad services cost $35 an hour"

i mean WTFi could see if maybe i needed actual comp help... but this was a piece of paper with 5 lines on it and he couldnt glance at it to help me out.... freakin jerk!
Do not mean to be rude, but COMPUTER TECH and CONSULTANT need to earn money and eat too you know. i am not sure about you, but I do get sick and tired of telling people what is wrong with the computer, and then going elsewhere to get the job down.

Like if some one is getting me to look at a computer that I did not supply or build, I would be charging $30 Quote Fee if they do not go ahead with any work.

Well okay fine Chankama but I still could relate to a lot of things that were in that letter, it brought up some good points. I, however, don't push people into extended warranties and extra services/products that they say they don't want, like a lot of salespeople do. This may be because I am not paid on commission, but I also consider myself too honest/moral of a person (if you will) to do so. And I despise salespeople who do push them. It's very dishonest and I don't blame you for walking out on that guy, I would have done the same thing. I explain what it covers, the benefits of it, and answer their questions. And if the customer doesn't want it, that's fine with me.

once, quite some time ago, i was setting up a network for a business and was exploring internet options. long story short, i was looking for ISDN modems, so i called around to see, by chance, if anyone had any locally. in calls to best buy, compUSA, and circuit city, not ONE SINGLE person had any idea what i was talking about. they kept insisting i was really looking for a DSL modem. i got this from all three stores from at least three different people at each store. i still have marks from where i was slamming my head on the desk.

harper, im sure the geek squad makes tons of money how it is, and this guy was not busy, there was nobody in line, he was sitting down so i walked over and asked him to see if this would work together with one another... and he stares at me like im a dumb*** and says it costs $35 an hour.
like i said i could see if this were a hardware/software problem, or even tech support (yea this i guess could be considered tech support but u know what i mean) but to charge a kid $35 for seriously 15 seconds out of his miserable life is just a jerk thing to do. know what i mean?
IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom