geek squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

hilowe

Daemon Poster
A friend of mine asked me a question about geek squad the other day.

He told me that their field reps (whatever they're called) carry a 1 gig USB memory stick, that he said they called a geek stick, and he was wondering what programs they had on it.

I told him they probably had a virus scanner, firewall, and a couple of spyware scanners, all freeware, and all with close to the latest updates. I got to thinking later, 4 or 5 installers with the latest updates wouldn't take up a gig of memory.

Anybody know what programs they have on their memory sticks?

I have one... they aren't anthing special. They basically have this firmware that is loaded when you insert the drive into a USB port. The program comes up in the taskbar and you can use preloaded programs such as you mentioned, or you go can to their website (u3.com) and download more software (some free, some not).

Its pretty cool... the stuff DOES work... I used the virus scanner a few times on some PC repairs that wouldn't allow me to install a virus scanner because the virus' wouldn't allow it.

Look on ebay... a guy ( shenidss9ckq) sells refurb drives for really cheap. I got mine from him (its a 512mb) for $13 plus like 5 for shipping. CHEAP and works great!

Crysalis said:
I have one... they aren't anthing special. They basically have this firmware that is loaded when you insert the drive into a USB port. The program comes up in the taskbar and you can use preloaded programs such as you mentioned, or you go can to their website (u3.com) and download more software (some free, some not).

Its pretty cool... the stuff DOES work... I used the virus scanner a few times on some PC repairs that wouldn't allow me to install a virus scanner because the virus' wouldn't allow it.

Look on ebay... a guy ( shenidss9ckq) sells refurb drives for really cheap. I got mine from him (its a 512mb) for $13 plus like 5 for shipping. CHEAP and works great!

You bought yours with all the cool toys on it already? I want one!! lol Would come in real handy.

yea... like i said, it can be handy, but mostly worthless. Alot of the good programs that you can download you have to buy.

Oh well... its still a good flash drive... can be password protected too.

Lol, the geek squad. :p They don't know **** about what they are doing. :confused: Their commercials get annoying as **** after seeing them like once, and they are always on. :mad: It is fun to ask them questions about a computer at the store, and they know absolutely nothing about, except for what is written on the little card next to it.
Once, I asked which out of a few computers was the best, and the guy said the one with the "fastest" P4 was, even though it had only integrated and only 256MB RAM. There was a pretty decent AMD CPU in one of them (I think it was like a 64 3200 or something) and plenty of RAM and a decent 6 series card. :rolleyes:

sniper2.gif
geek.gif

(Me) (Best buy "geek")

hilowe said:
Anybody know what programs they have on their memory sticks?

I normally carry around a 60Gb USB Hard Drive

Apart from Backing up client's data when I have to format C, I do have the following programs

AdAware
SpyBot S&D
MS AntiSpyware
Norton's Internet Security 90 Day Trial
Norton Live Update Definitions (7 days old)
All Norton's Virus Removal tools
Norton's Removal Tool
McAffee Anti Virus 2006
McAffee Stinger
Norton Ghost 2003
Adobe Acrobat Reader 7
Win Zip, Win RAR, Win Ace, Win Arj (plus a lot of other compression tools that I have not even heard of)
CPU-Z
Magic Jellybean Windows Serial Number Checker / Changer*
Windows XP Activator**
Windows NT Service Pack 6
Windows 2000 Service Pack 4
Windows Xp Service Pack 1a
Windows Xp Service Pack 2
Windows Xp Auto Patcher
Windows Xp MultiLingal Support Pack
Direct X 9.0c
FireFox
Thunderbird
Open Office
Internet Explorer 6
Nero 6 OEM
SiS Sanda 2006
SiS Video Card Identification Tool
Various Video and Music Codexs

Drivers
About 500Mb of various Modem Drivers (95/98/98se/NT/2000/Xp)
About 500Mb of ESS and Creative Sound Card Drivers (95/98/98se/NT/2000/Xp)
Generic SiS, nVidia and Radion Video Drivers (95/98/98se/NT/2000/Xp)

CAB files from Win 98se / 2000 / XP

* I have need too many dodgy MS Windows Xp OEM Numbers. And I hate it when it gets in my way of doing a job.
** For when I don't have phone or net access

And that is just the start......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom