Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50c - $1

• $1+

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
But, honestly, I'd rather have non-governmental scientists working on it. At least any progress made will be real progress and not something hacked together to justify more funding.

yes, we have seen through countless examples recently that the private sector is the way to get things done in this country. it is a free market after all....it only makes sense. and that IS who is making the progress on alt. energies right now--the private sectors.

i've written several articles recently about alternative energies in my area and it's all being done through companies and universities. state gov'ts are just helping to provide funding for these projects.

we need the fed. gov't mostly just for legislation & policy in this matter.

I remember something back in clinton times that gore was pushing to put like a 50c tax on each gallon of gasoline (putting the price at what, $1.25? lol). The tax was to go to a fund for researching alternative energy sources mostly for cars... at least in theory but you know how those extra funds get moved around coughsocialsecuritycough.

So my question to you, is it too late to still add a $.5 or even $.25 tax on each gallon of gas for this kind of funding?

Personally the way i see it, we (americans) pay almost nothing for gas compared to (almost?) every other country, So more expensive gas wouldn't kill us, might even make people stop driving so much and use the bus or something... If paying $200 more a year will find something besides gas i'm all for it

I agree that we pay less in general, but to say "nothing" - heh, you must be a rich 'lil boy. Anyhow, your idea is just crazy, to say the least. They always add more taxes to get something specific done (not talking about gas specifically here, but this is the same deal), and it never happens. Like Trotter said above, a private party may do the trick for we all know the government cannot handle the task, nor should they be entrusted with it.

I have been known to bike into work (14 mi each way) once in awhile - so for those saying "I live out of town...", a viable excuse but it can be done if you want it to. The thing is, you have to make up for that (what most would see as) lost time somehow, but it's good exercise anyway :D.

When saying "it's going up anyway", you're basically saying ... "would you like to donate some more money to the Gov't?" Why would I want to do that? They can just pull more mulah out of thin air and sell the debt to foreign countries and such... they don't need our money (and as mentioned above, it wouldn't help the cause by trusting the Gov't).

i don't want to just keep saying the same thing over and over so i'll refrain but i'm not a "rich boy" I pay for pretty mych everything i use incl gas insurance and car payments (which are gone now but yea) I put in a painful $30 every 2 weeks or so... i pay my share of gas

i don't want to just keep saying the same thing over and over so i'll refrain but i'm not a "rich boy" I pay for pretty mych everything i use incl gas insurance and car payments (which are gone now but yea) I put in a painful $30 every 2 weeks or so... i pay my share of gas
Well, you're asking for it by saying we pay "nothing".

I remember my dad filling up the car (an old Buick stationwagon) for $10. And that was during the early '70s and its gas crisis. Gas was still less than a buck when I started driving. I would take my lunch money ($5 a week) and drive to school on it.

For years I drove a '76 Thunderbird to work... 15 miles to the gallon, 60 miles each way. Gas got up to almost $1.50 and I about had a stroke.

Yes, the US enjoys cheaper gas than almost everywhere in the world. And I want to continue to enjoy it. I have the freedom to travel as I see fit, and I will not give up that right.

That's a great point in all, but for some people that's just not on option. Some people don't have the chances of being able to walk to work or take a cab or bus.

Well, you're asking for it by saying we pay "nothing".

lol well relative to others i do think 2.7 - 3 / gallon is nothing if ur used to paying what is it $8 / gallon in most of europe?

I mean really i can say the war has done a LOT to bring gas up... i mean before it they were what $1.50 tops? My memory is fuzzy, but anyways much lower.

Remember the first time gas hit $2 / gallon you just about wanted to kill yourslef

reminds me of that one quote - It was not lack of stones that ended the stone age

quoted from Vormund
"I have been known to bike into work (14 mi each way) once in awhile - so for those saying "I live out of town...", a viable excuse but it can be done if you want it to. The thing is, you have to make up for that (what most would see as) lost time somehow, but it's good exercise anyway"

yea, that would be fine if its work, and its an all day thing, (although 14 miles still seems like alot to me, but I'm out of shape),

but it seemed that it was more a ride to get groceries and such. would you ride 14 miles on a bike to go get bread to make dinner with? or even 9 miles?

I think the private sector will defiantly be able to get the research done, and even now the car companies are looking at ways to make "green" cars, or at least effective ones. But like all private sector, they will always be looking for a profit... (but then who wouldn't?)

edit -- also they are already putting alot of tax on gas anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom