Fyi -- Gmail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shakie

Fully Optimized
Gmail now supports email forwarding and POP3 access... and you know what that means.... GMAIL IN OUTLOOK!!!!

w00t w00t!

outlook OR thunderbird ... !
lol ... even though they are both pretty similiar
i was pretty glad when i heard that too

First, adamhic, once you go into your google account, go under settings, Forwarding and Pop3. You do this because you have to enable your account to use Pop3. Right underneath that there is a small "How-to" guide for how to set up Outlook or whatever.

Second, I don't see how a "notifier" could be faster or more convienent. I mean, the notifier tells you you have mail, but then you have to go to the google site and check it. With Outlook or whatever, it's all right there, you don't have to go to any site or anything else.

Shakie said:
Second, I don't see how a "notifier" could be faster or more convienent. I mean, the notifier tells you you have mail, but then you have to go to the google site and check it. With Outlook or whatever, it's all right there, you don't have to go to any site or anything else.

You cannot be more WRONG! The G-Mail notifer places an icon in your system tray, and notifies you with a brief showing of the first sentence in your e-mail. If by chance you do miss it, it remains blue until all messages have been opened. ALL you have to do is double click this icon, and it takes you DIRECTLY to the G-Mail inbox! How is it you consider opening another program, then send/recieve all to insure that you indeed have your messages, THEN you get your message. :O!

To top this off you have NO clue as to when you have a new e-mail, making it EXTREMELY inconvienent by having you open the application several times a day.

Rizinc4 said:
You cannot be more WRONG! The G-Mail notifer places an icon in your system tray, and notifies you with a brief showing of the first sentence in your e-mail. If by chance you do miss it, it remains blue until all messages have been opened. ALL you have to do is double click this icon, and it takes you DIRECTLY to the G-Mail inbox! How is it you consider opening another program, then send/recieve all to insure that you indeed have your messages, THEN you get your message. :O!

To top this off you have NO clue as to when you have a new e-mail, making it EXTREMELY inconvienent by having you open the application several times a day.

I completely agree, I have the g notifier, and its great. Extremely fast responses, sleek, and simple.

With Outlook 2000/2003, when you leave the client open, it checks all of my accounts on a set timer or a manual timer so that I don't have to open it several times a day, I can just leave it open and it also sits only in my system tray. On top of that, all my email is in one place and I don't have a notifier in my tray taking up more needed resources or have to have several programs/browsers open to do the same thing that I can do with Outlook.

I have used the "g notifier" and when I have it and Outlook open, Outlook let me know I had email before "g notifier", so it's not faster. On top of that when you click on the "g notifier" and it takes you directly to your inbox, it either, A) opens another browser window, which is bad, or B) takes you away from you existing window or site, which is also bad, which means, to me, that it's not sleek, more convienant or anything else.

So I guess we'll have to agree to dis-agree.

Shakie said:
With Outlook 2000/2003, when you leave the client open, it checks all of my accounts on a set timer or a manual timer so that I don't have to open it several times a day, I can just leave it open and it also sits only in my system tray. On top of that, all my email is in one place and I don't have a notifier in my tray taking up more needed resources or have to have several programs/browsers open to do the same thing that I can do with Outlook.

I have used the "g notifier" and when I have it and Outlook open, Outlook let me know I had email before "g notifier". On top of that when you click on the "g notifier" and it takes you directly to your inbox, it either, A) opens another browser window, which is bad, or B) takes you away from you existing window or site, which is also bad.

So I guess we'll have to agree to dis-agree.

You talk of wasting system resources with the G-Mail Notifier, and yet you apparently leave an icon for OE in your system tray. My you've got me there!

The feature does indeed open a browser... and OE ALSO opens an additional application.

I cannot speak upon any other's behalf, but as for my own I have never had Gmail replace an existing open browser for its purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom