future shop - bad....

Status
Not open for further replies.

talldude123

Banned
i took my LG dvd recorder back for servicing at Future Shop (same as Best Buy, except different name). I thought they would just give me a gift card for the item's value ($400), but they want to take it back to LG for "servicing".

Now i have to wait forever, for the DVD recorder to be taken to Toronto, and serviced, and sent back here. Now im DVD player-less :(

My question:

Can anybody recommend a CHEAP dvd player that has progressive scan, and will work? I have seen a few refurbished NOVA dvd players for $20, but are they worth it? They do have progressive scan.

Yea, i looked at their website.

They have a Nova for $20, with component out, and progressive scan. Do you know anything about it? Does it actually work?

Just curious why you want a Progressive Scan DVD player.... What kind of display are you using?

Whoa.. $60 component cables????? :eek:.. Never ever spend that much money on cables man. I was talking to this dude from Molex (they are the "nameless" actual manufacturers of cables that other companies buy from and label as their own), and he said that it probably costs them like $2.00 to make an HDMI cable. And he's like "when I go to like Best Buy, I see the same stuff priced at like $50.00".. :rolleyes: :eek: :mad:

Just because you have "Component Output" doesn't mean you want "Progressive Scan". Component output is just a input type (in contrast to HDMI, DVI, etc.). "Progressive" is in contrast to "Interlaced". Two different things. HDMI is the latest and greatest which has high bandwidth for high definition TV. And High definition is not necesarily all progressive. For example, 1080i is interlaced whereas 720P is progressive.

WIth respect to LCD monitors, why would a display fully support 1080i but not 1080P you ask? Refresh rate limitations! (as far as I know) :)

When you speak of "Progressive", the more important question is the actual display itself. You have to give it what "that" likes. Some TVs "like" to display interlaced signals, simply because that's how they were designed. Others can deinterlace the signal internally without you having to do it on your DVD player. If you are looking for a DVD player that does deinterlacing (progressive output) for under $20, I can pretty much gaurantee that the TV's deinterlacing (if applicable) will be superior. :).. There are "high end" equipment that does deinterlacing superbly before hitting any displays, but those things are frikkin expensive.

Here's a link to progressive scan:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressive_scan

If you need to know more about Progressive vs Interlaced, let me know. In your case, you buying a crappy progressive DVD might actually hurt you than you simply getting a DVD player that has a interlaced output. First of all, your TV might simply "like" to display interlaced in it's raw form. And "all" interlaced to "progressive" conversions ARE NOT EQUAL.

:)

talldude123 said:
i understand what you mean...

progressive scan is a display type.

About the cables...
$60 isnt that much. These are Monster Component Cables, really worth the money.
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pr...angid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10017133&catid=11343

My parents were stupid, they let the Future Shop salesman sell them $250 cables with their $2200 Projection TV
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pr...angid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10024898&catid=11343

They're nice, but why spend $250 on cables?

You still believe future shop ? LOL

Monster cables have no advantage over any other decently made cable.

umm yes, i work there, they give me a paycheck..

The only cables they sell are Monster and RCA, so its obvious what is better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom