Free Speech of Controversial Issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ulater6000

Daemon Poster
Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed that many threads are being closed down just because of heated controversial issues?

This is the off topic discusion section right?

So why cant we have an inteligent discusion about a controversial issue without it being shut down?

I mean I understand if it it is being racist or other things like that, but In the last few threads closed down, no one was being blatently racist, and all discussion was performed in an inteligent respectful manner.

So why cant we have an inteligent discusion about a controversial issue without it being shut down?
Because they aren't intelligent discussions. It'd have to be something like:

"Hmmm you raise some very interesting and thought provoking arguments, however I'm still not entirely convinced based on the fact that blah blah disagrees with your opinion about blah blah"

Instead, we generally get:

"You communist tree hugging hippies suck! You fascist war totting patriots suck! You're all wrong and I'm right."

Fact is there's no such thing as a discussion at least here as most people will dig into a political opinion and nothing anyone says will sway that opinion

anyone else noticed that many threads are being closed down just because of heated controversial issues?

You're right. They have been closed. Why? Because no one here can seem to dis-cuss (look up the meaning of it) them.

This is the off topic discusion section right?

Yes, it is.

Haven't seen or read one yet... or at least one that made it more than four or five posts before the whole 'intelligent' or 'discussion' thing was blown to bits.

From the top of this forum:

The Off Topic forum is for open discussions AS LONG AS every post is:

Intellectual or Academic or Computer Related or Thoughtful or
Beneficial to the Majority of TF members and CIVIL

ANY and ALL posts that do not adhere to the above will be deleted. If you can't post something civil, meaningful and useful then don't post. Opinions are welcome. NOTE: ANY type of spamming, flaming, or advertising will be deleted!

We (the TF moderators' team) have been lax about enforcing this set of rules. But I have a feeling that that is about to change.

The entire mindset and demeanor of TF has been sliding downhill of late. Not any one person, but everyone as a whole pushing the envelope of what should be posted. That is a trend that will be changed... one way or another.

Originally posted by DMo224:

We are a TECH forum, and that's what we'll stay.

I wholeheartedly agree.

"Even the drunkards...."

I's simple. We are getting punished for what the new members are doing. The new members are acting like little children that just finished playing in the sand box. :rolleyes:

There is a thread already like this:
http://techist.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=101532

Read it.

::pS:: W0rd on the street is, Dmo224 (The Administrator) is trying to shut out all the political/Religeon descussion, and that's not a good thing at all.:mad: :mad: :cool:

Re: "Even the drunkards...."

ATIRAGEPRO said:
I's simple. We are getting punished for what the new members are doing. The new members are acting like little children that just finished playing in the sand box. :rolleyes:

There is a thread already like this:
http://techist.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=101532

Read it.

::pS:: W0rd on the street is, Dmo224 (The Administrator) is trying to shut out all the political/Religeon descussion, and that's not a good thing at all.:mad: :mad: :cool:
Dave isn't trying to shut out all the political/religious discussion; the entire mod team is coming to the decision that this is a tech forum, not a politics/religion forum.

But this is Off Topic, shouldnt matter. Ill be the first to say i guess that this is the first forum that has had any problem really w/ huge flame wars over these subjects. Then again this country always has heated debates over this stuff. Im at The Something Awful Forums and sutff is always brought up like this and we never seem to have a problem there. Maybe its cause we have to pay to get in? Idk really myself. I think taking the religious and political discusion off the Off Topic is not really necesary. Just lock or delete the threads that get to heated up. Id have to say though, i believe our #1 political flame warist has left though.

But this is Off Topic, shouldnt matter.

From the top of this forum:

The Off Topic forum is for open discussions AS LONG AS every post is:

Intellectual or Academic or Computer Related or Thoughtful or
Beneficial to the Majority of TF members and CIVIL

ANY and ALL posts that do not adhere to the above will be deleted. If you can't post something civil, meaningful and useful then don't post. Opinions are welcome. NOTE: ANY type of spamming, flaming, or advertising will be deleted!
Thanks for your cooperation!!

That caption has been at the top of Off Topic since before I was here, and was probably there a long time before that. It is the standard, no matter what anyone's opinion might be.

Technicaly i already stated that it was benefitial to me and im sure to some of us others. I use it as a means of conversation. I use either the topic or just what certain members are saying whether it is funny or flame related.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom