Found Some Interesting Vocab!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slam'n Systems

Veteran Techist Member
Heres some vocab I came acrossed! I thought I would share it with you guys!

dot–commer … n (1997)
a person who owns or works for a dot-com
convergence Â… n
the merging of distinct technologies, industries, or devices into a unified whole
geek Â… n
an enthusiast or expert esp. in a technological field or activity — geekdom …n — geekiness n
killer app Â… n (1988)
a computer application of such great value or popularity that it assures the success of the technology with which it is associated; broadly : a feature or component that in itself makes something worth having

See, being a geek aint bad!:p

I liked "Mcjob," which was also another.

WARNING: RAMBLING THOUGHTS LEADING NOT REALLY ANWHERE STARTS NOW.

IMHO, games have been the killer app. that started the home upgrade frenzy. I had no problem doing what I needed to do in word processing on a 286 using a simple text based word processor, but now its a boat anchor. For christ sakes, a game boy has ore processing power than the computers for the Apollo missions (well, I think the TI 99s do too) The only reason I need what I have is to get maximum FPS in games, and a 32bit color desktop running XP hogging globs of memory...I need how much resources to print a one-page assignment?

The killer apps starting with the apple ][ and the PC junior were (in order as best as I can remember off hand) Visicalc & Rbase, Sabotage & Castle Wolfenstein 2d ver,, The Lord British Ultima games, share & free -ware word processors like pc-lite, BBSs, then entered M$ which bought out the rights for visicalc and all the others... (oops left out UNIVAC - Artillery Firing Tables for WWII)

Enter the IBM clones (gasp - 386 sx (sx=sux to bet 16bit) w/ 1 a meg trident video card!)- Doom, Quicken & Wordperfect-which M$ bought :( and from there it was GAMES GAMES GAMES!

The only reason I remember upgrading at all was because not only was the killer app running slowly, but things like this happened: my roomate bought a caching controller and also had more ram enabling him to pilot Dynamix's Red Baron smoothly via ramdisk - I could not back away from this obvious attempt to gain advantage. So my point is that "killer app" has been Games many times. My other point was to ramble... Mission accomplished. Now I gotta find a McJobby Job, 'cause I was a dot-commer playing startup roulette in the 90's.

^Now you must save versus confusion for 1-3 rnds*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom