The Food & Drink Thread

What about putting some pork belly in the slow cooker and a packet of bacon. Slow cooking the bacon and pork belly to drain and extract the stock from the meat , then adding the rice to the slow cooker.

I just do not want to have wet sticky rice and the water \ juices to rice ratio is a nightmare when trying or experimenting with this as I have no experience.

I was going to boil the rice, then wash it because after cooking I was told by my local Asian news agent who does this often, cooking the rice and then washing it will remove the starch and stop it sticking. Kinda like blanching it to stop it cooking.

In that scenario I would cook the meat then drain the liquid into a container. From there you can skim off some/all of the fat and then measure it so you can get the rice to liquid ratio correct. Cooking the rice in the slow cooker would require finding the times online as I haven't tried that.

Sticky rice comes from overcooking it from my understanding.

From the times I have seen fried rice made in hibachi joints they are using cold cooked rice.

In that scenario I would cook the meat then drain the liquid into a container. From there you can skim off some/all of the fat and then measure it so you can get the rice to liquid ratio correct. Cooking the rice in the slow cooker would require finding the times online as I haven't tried that.

Sticky rice comes from overcooking it from my understanding.

From the times I have seen fried rice made in hibachi joints they are using cold cooked rice.

This is what I have just done. For the last two hours I have been experimenting as such in the kitchen, I took half a cup of rice and one and a half cups of water. Brought the water to the boil, added the rice, then added a quarter of a cup as and when needed until the rice was cooked but not sticky.

After the rice was cooked I drained in a colander (siv) using cold water and washed it thoroughly . The fat off the rice was unreal. Just sitting their in the bottom of the sink.

I added peas, carrots and for approx half a cup of rice I added four eggs, dry pan cooked and chopped up.

I have it in the kitchen sitting their and will make the curry sauce when I get hungry later on and add it to the full pan if I feel.

I also took two table spoons of oil and give the rice a good frying.

This is what I have just done. For the last two hours I have been experimenting as such in the kitchen, I took half a cup of rice and one and a half cups of water. Brought the water to the boil, added the rice, then added a quarter of a cup as and when needed until the rice was cooked but not sticky.

After the rice was cooked I drained in a colander (siv) using cold water and washed it thoroughly . The fat off the rice was unreal. Just sitting their in the bottom of the sink.

I added peas, carrots and for approx half a cup of rice I added four eggs, dry pan cooked and chopped up.

I have it in the kitchen sitting their and will make the curry sauce when I get hungry later on and add it to the full pan if I feel.

I also took two table spoons of oil and give the rice a good frying.

I'm too lazy for all that. ;) Once I cook mine like I outlined above I am finished with it.

I'm too lazy for all that. ;) Once I cook mine like I outlined above I am finished with it.

Do you use some sort of frying pan or wok? Does your rice become sticky?

I ask because what I have struggled with is the water to rice ratio, hence I added it as I was going as to not over cook it.

I'm going to slow cook some meat as I have pork belly and bacon their in the fridge. I'll do it in the slow cooker on a low heat tomorrow night and boil my long grain white rice in the juices or stock as such of the meat and I'll add water as I go as to make sure I have enough liquid to fully cook but not over cook the rice.

Thinking about the process I'll have to drain the juices from the meat in to the pan for the boiling but I think I will stick with approx half a cup of rice because what I have just cooked, their is a load of it their after adding the other ingredients.

Chop up the meat and add to the rice in the pan. The only thing I'm missing is oyster sauce what the takeaways use.

Last edited:
Do you use some sort of frying pan or wok? Does your rice become sticky?

I think you missed a bit. I don't fry mine at all. When I cook my rice I put everything in with the liquid (soy, spices, veggies, etc). Instead of water I use stock which lets the rice suck in all the flavor. When the rice is cooked then it is completely finished as far as I am concerned. Sure, you could scramble up some eggs and add to it if you wanted but my wife prefers it without them so I don't bother. If I were making chicken rice I would use chicken stock and then maybe add in some chicken once the rice was finished; for beef I would use beef stock and beef.

I call it "Un-fried Fried rice."

Dump the rice in a pot, fill with water and take handfuls and firmly rub/grind by making a fist to wash the grains. Empty water and rinse again, then drain as much water as you can.
Next find the ratio for your rice. If you're using normal long grain white rice, it's about 1 and a third cups water per cup rice. Put the lid on and bring to boil then turn down to simmer and DONT take the lid off at all for 17 mins like not even once to take a peek, lid stays on. Turn heat off, and keep the lid on for at least another 10 mins. Stops the rice sticking to the pot too
Use a fork to break it all up after the 10 mins, then put in a container back in the fridge uncovered if it's too wet and covered if it's ok. The next day you can use it for fried rice

For fried rice recipe this is my go to gal cause it's super easy, I just buy a bag of frozen peas/carrots/beans so the only prep I have to do is dice a chicken breast: https://rasamalaysia.com/fried-rice-recipe/

I tend to cook a big batch of rice at least once a week, so there's nearly always leftover rice for a quick n simple dinner. Minced beef on garlic with teriyaki marinade and some spring onions chopped in is surprisingly tasty, and takes like ¬5 mins to make tops if the rice is already done in the fridge.

Last edited:
Dump the rice in a pot, fill with water and take handfuls and firmly rub/grind by making a fist to wash the grains. Empty water and rinse again, then drain as much water as you can.
Next find the ratio for your rice. If you're using normal long grain white rice, it's about 1 and a third cups water per cup rice. Put the lid on and bring to boil then turn down to simmer and DONT take the lid off at all for 17 mins like not even once to take a peek, lid stays on. Turn heat off, and keep the lid on for at least another 10 mins. Stops the rice sticking to the pot too
Use a fork to break it all up after the 10 mins, then put in a container back in the fridge uncovered if it's too wet and covered if it's ok. The next day you can use it for fried rice

For fried rice recipe this is my go to gal cause it's super easy, I just buy a bag of frozen peas/carrots/beans so the only prep I have to do is dice a chicken breast: https://rasamalaysia.com/fried-rice-recipe/

I tend to cook a big batch of rice at least once a week, so there's nearly always leftover rice for a quick n simple dinner. Minced beef on garlic with teriyaki marinade and some spring onions chopped in is surprisingly tasty, and takes like ¬5 mins to make tops if the rice is already done in the fridge.

I've always found a high quality basmati just cooked for 9 minutes always turns out great. Soft, fluffy, not stodgy at all. If you want insanely soft rice, leave the uncooked rice in salty water for an hour before hand. Then cook in even more salt water, it only takes about 4 or 5 minutes to cook after a long pre soak, and it comes out even more tender. I also saw a top tip for making flavorful rice, and it was to simply boil it with a chicken or vegetable stock cube in the water.

Back
Top Bottom