The Food & Drink Thread

@trots all I can find round here is the point, nobody does whole brisket so looks like I"m stuck with just trying for burnt ends! Will give it a crack this week and see how I do :S

As a random side note, I do feel a large amount of ‘techniques' and ‘tips' you see in cooking are just pure bull**** with no proof or scientific backing.

Yeah there's lots of chaff mixed in with the wheat. Don't flip a steak more than once, searing meat on high heat "seals in" the juices, leave a steak out of the fridge to "bring it up to room temp", etc.

Lotta the time it's the kernel of truth that keeps them going, e.g. searing meat doesn't seal in **** - just so happens that to try that you need a hot pan, and steaks *should* be cooked on hot pans, so the myth sorta perpetuates the correct cooking technique while being totally wrong about what/why is going on. It's juicy not because you sealed in anything, but because you didn't broil/murder it on a not-hot-enough stove :p

Heston blumenthal and Alton brown are two great chefs in that regard for pointing out old myths and what's really going on

@trots all I can find round here is the point, nobody does whole brisket so looks like I"m stuck with just trying for burnt ends! Will give it a crack this week and see how I do :S

Yeah there's lots of chaff mixed in with the wheat. Don't flip a steak more than once, searing meat on high heat "seals in" the juices, leave a steak out of the fridge to "bring it up to room temp", etc.

Lotta the time it's the kernel of truth that keeps them going, e.g. searing meat doesn't seal in **** - just so happens that to try that you need a hot pan, and steaks *should* be cooked on hot pans, so the myth sorta perpetuates the correct cooking technique while being totally wrong about what/why is going on. It's juicy not because you sealed in anything, but because you didn't broil/murder it on a not-hot-enough stove :p

Heston blumenthal and Alton brown are two great chefs in that regard for pointing out old myths and what's really going on

Ooooooooooooo controversial. I actually abide by the whole taking your steak out the fridge before you cook it thing. I find it makes a real difference. If it's stone cold, I find it pretty easy to get a good crust on the edge with the center still being cold raw (blue I guess). Or if you cook it til the center is cooked, the outsides are then too dry and overcooked. If the steak is already 25 celcius when you slap it on the fryer, it only has to get up another 20c to 45 or 50c for a nice medium rare steak without the outsides being overcooked :p For me, this is one where I can see the difference myself. Not to say it is impossible to cook a steak from cold.

The ones that annoy me most are when they have a HUGE pot of whatever they're cooking, and then they go "okay, and now add 1/4 teaspoon of garlic". **** off. Ain't nobody can taste 1/4 teaspoon of garlic in 5 liters of soup.

Ahh but see here's why myths perpetuate! Did you actually test how much warmer the steak was after however long you left it out? This guy did, myth #1 here: https://www.seriouseats.com/2013/06/the-food-lab-7-old-wives-tales-about-cooking-steak.html

(also side note, that site and chef James are *amazing* resources)

Here's the issue: Steak can't brown until most of the moisture has evaporated from the layers of meat closest to the surface, and it takes a hell of a lot of energy to evaporate moisture. To put it in perspective. It takes five times more energy to convert a single gram of water into steam than it does to raise the temperature of that water all the way from ice cold to boiling hot. So when searing a steak, the vast majority of energy that goes into it is used to evaporate moisture from its surface layers. Next to that energy requirement, a 20, 30, or even 40 degree difference in the temperature of the surface of the meat is a piddling affair.

The Takeaway: Don't bother letting your steaks rest at room temperature. Rather, dry them very thoroughly on paper towels before searing. Or better yet, salt them and let them rest uncovered on a rack in the fridge for a night or two, so that their surface moisture can evaporate. You'll get much more efficient browning that way

I tested the same after reading that and damn if he ain't right :p now my method is pat dry and salt, I tried salting the previous day but tbh for the cut of meat I used it was *too* tender almost n weird :s maybe I used too much salt, either way I'm very happy with the results of just a pat down and salt right before the pan.

Ahh but see here's why myths perpetuate! Did you actually test how much warmer the steak was after however long you left it out? This guy did, myth #1 here: https://www.seriouseats.com/2013/06/the-food-lab-7-old-wives-tales-about-cooking-steak.html

(also side note, that site and chef James are *amazing* resources)

I tested the same after reading that and damn if he ain't right :p now my method is pat dry and salt, I tried salting the previous day but tbh for the cut of meat I used it was *too* tender almost n weird :s maybe I used too much salt, either way I'm very happy with the results of just a pat down and salt right before the pan.

Interesting. I will have to do an A/B kind of test then, because I am sure I am not imagining it when I get my steaks out early and they cook better. Maybe it's because I always do it with small fillet steaks ?

Also, its the same with Camembert. It takes half the amount of time and goes nice and runny far quicker if it's already warm, than if you take it out of the fridge. There is no disputing this one because straight out the fridge it takes 40 minutes in the oven, vs 15 if it's been left out for a couple of hours :p

Wot, a bit of cold cheese takes 40 mins in a 180c oven to go melty? I don't believe it xD mine have always taken ~15-20 mins and I pull it straight outta the fridge. I've got one ready at home so I'll test it tonight :p

Lately I have been eating absolute crap in the way of junk food like crisps and chocolate.

I don't eat much of this sort of stuff but also had a thing for pork rinds and pot noodles lately.

I'd actually prefer not to eat this sort of stuff like cakes sweets biscuits and in general, junk but I've found the likes of the pork rinds and pot noodles are just such a convenience.

Normally go crazy over my slow cooker with the likes of pork chops, beef or even pork belly but tonight I'm having chicken. Been in the fridge over 24 hours defrosting. Chicken thighs ..

Last edited:
Guy's do any of you have any experience with cooking home made fried rice.

I know now as I found out that I need to wash out the starch with in the rice but how do I do this?

I have been asking Google a load of questions but I cant seem to find a response I'm wanting for my specific use.

Do I boil the rice and then place the rice in cold water, wash it until the cold water becomes clear as the starch would have been washed out. Apparently its the starch that makes it stick together as I was looking for a way to make home made curry and fried rice.

I have long grain white rice so how long do I cook it for and how much water do I add to how much rice?

Thanks.

I cheat when making mine, Spud. I cook my rice using stock instead of water (beef, chicken, whatever). I add soy sauce in with the stock as well as my spices (garlic powder, red pepper flakes, whatever). If I have them I chop up some green onions into the stock as well. The rice absorbs the stock and seasonings as it cooks. If I want some veggies or anything else in the rice I add it before the rice.

Mine may not be fried in the traditional sense but it works, is super simple, and is damn tasty. My wife does not like rice but will eat mine all by itself.

Back
Top Bottom