Folding@Home

Did I get screwed on this 40 dollar deal?

• Screwed

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not screwed

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
i was wondering how many people fold for TF or would be interested in doing so. think of this as a membership drive. follow the link in my sig if you are interested to check out the F@H thread. it would be great if we could get a bunch more members involved. the TF team is doing quite well in terms of productivity, we moved up 12 positions in the last week :D and we can do so much better with more team members. i know many of our 40 odd thousand members aren't regulars but i'm certain there are a lot more regulars than are folding.

the idea of the F@H program:
Our goal: to understand protein folding, misfolding, and related diseases

What is protein folding and how is folding linked to disease? Proteins are biology's workhorses -- its "nanomachines." Before proteins can carry out these important functions, they assemble themselves, or "fold." The process of protein folding, while critical and fundamental to virtually all of biology, in many ways remains a mystery.

Moreover, when proteins do not fold correctly (i.e. "misfold"), there can be serious consequences, including many well known diseases, such as Alzheimer's, Mad Cow (BSE), CJD, ALS, Huntington's, Parkinson's disease, and many Cancers and cancer-related syndromes.

You can help by simply running a piece of software. Folding@Home is a distributed computing project -- people from through out the world download and run software to band together to make one of the largest supercomputers in the world. Every computer makes the project closer to our goals.

Folding@Home uses novel computational methods coupled to distributed computing, to simulate problems thousands to millions of times more challenging than previously achieved.
Folding@Home Download Page

basically all you need to do is download a client and configure it. there are two main versions:

GUI
Console

the console version is more efficient and uses less resources. either way when you configure the client use the team number 12864, use any user name you like and you're done :D. i would like to stress that by using F@H you lose virtually no power from your pc as it only uses spare resources i.e it won't effect gaming etc. it's a chance to do something good that doesn't cost you any more than a small bit of electricity.

i reccomend the console version and either letting it run as a service (type yes when it asks this in the configuration) or by using a shortcut in the "startup" folder.

i think it's about time for a cheesy ms-paintised image

wewantyouye6.jpg

:)

I was actually going to start folding when I got cable internet, and I got cable yesterday, so I'll probably download that and start folding today or tomorrow.

I'm folding for the forum, as of yesterday. I need to bump up the CPU usage on it though, I've got no WU's yet. But I did shut my computer down last night...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom