Firefox to be Targeted :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
first, delete your cookies and clear history, then type "tech forums"... what happens is that you get a list of sites, tech forums being at the top of that list. thus taking you to a search engine page, not this message board. if you search "techforums", u get a spelling error (i'm using yahoo as my default webpage) and you see .... Did you mean: tech forums? .... but if u type "techforums" or "tech forums" in firefox, it goes to this site. i've never had that pctechforums come up instead of tech forums. i have to agree with you on the whole priority thing, i never even stumbled upon the whole idea that microsoft makes windows and IE comes with windows, ahah thats my fault. but does Internet Explorer have "live bookmarks" like firefox? you guys might now use it but i use that feature alot, for news and my gmail account. i havn't had one pop-up since i've used firefox, and i like having a pop-up blocker integrated into my browser instead of having a seperate popup blocker.

Links and lynx are about as secure as they come, theyve been around for quite awhile too,mainstream? not in the windows world, still, on other platforms its very easy to make firefox prettymuch bulletproof, it isnt a filemanager or a shell, all one has to do is set it up on an account with really restrictive permissions and even if it gets hacked absolutely nothing happens, it might crash firefox at the most.

I have yet to have a pop up or adware or spyware of any kind, I dont even have an antivirus program in my possession, no need.

Like all things, it was only going to be a matter of time before FIREFOX gets targetted too.

I could of seen this coming from a long time ago.

ShoobieRat, One other thing. Could I kindly make a request that you put a hyperlink or some details on where you care getting this information. In this day and age, it's nice to know where information is coming from. Thx.

ShoobieRat said:
I would also point out that Firefox is not doing you any favors or miraculous deeds here. In fact, it's being quite stupid and beligerant. When you run a search on "whitehouse" you'll notice that the first major return is always (usually) WhiteHouse.gov. The only difference between IE and Firefox is that Firefox does this in the background and sends you forcefully to whatever pops out on top of its search. This is not only annoying when it gets things wrong, but it is terribly annoying when you have the same site name with two different domain extensions (ie whitehouse.com vs whitehouse.gov).

The idea is that in Firefox you use the specified search bar to the right of the address bar to search Google or whatever your preferred search engine may happen to be (or even something like Dictionary or eBay). IE has no such equivilant without getting specified toolbars. You can get a Google toolbar, or a Yahoo toolbar...you can even get some spyware toolbars! Like Integrated Search Technologies or Xupitor! (smart choice people! ;))

Anyhow, Horndude, you could use Lynx...be safe and secure, and then have something stupid like this happen to you because of ignorant administrators. :p

Ya, I read about that on slashdot, guess those admins werent used to seeing a real actual accurate and properly formatted http request that follows the RFC's.

I do use lynx to do my banking, so far no problems.

Sometimes I use links at forums like this one, it eliminates all the unnecessary images and stuff, excellent for dial up users.

I'm not this much into computers personally to give it much thought, I prefer Firefox, I know it will get messed with as popularity grows. Its a nice browser, I like its simplicity, and I like the name.

I saw a comparison of OS X,winXP,and linux recently where they compared bugs per 1000 lines of code, open source won easily, far less bugs, and far less critical bugs.

As far as firefox being more or less vulnerable, depends on platform but its got a head start towards being more secure than IE cause it isnt a filemanager and a shell.

All microsoft has to do to fix the major security holes in windows is separate the browser from the rest of the OS, thats all it takes.Keep the filemanager separate from the the other apps, a browser with both root priveleges and the ability to execute code and act on files is a disaster waiting to happen, so of course, thats exactly what has happened.

horndude said:
Ya, I read about that on slashdot, guess those admins werent used to seeing a real actual accurate and properly formatted http request that follows the RFC's.

I do use lynx to do my banking, so far no problems.

Sometimes I use links at forums like this one, it eliminates all the unnecessary images and stuff, excellent for dial up users.

Heh...

Use Lynx! It's more secure, MUCH faster, more stable, much lighter, simpler, than Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari, Opera, and almost any other browser you can think of!

(Too bad it can't really do anything other than display text...;))

lynx doesnt do text, but links does, there's some modded versions of links that do java and https as well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom