Fighting taken out of context.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's because
a) people have different ways of thinking
- For instance, some people might think literally, as in what is said is literally what is meant. Some people consider the way something is said to change the meaning.
- Also, some people think in a linear, goal-oriented way (A -> B -> C). Others think in terms of patterns/organisation, not with a specific goal.

If a person who thinks in a linear, literal way says something, it's possible they can unknowingly say it in a way that another person considers would change the meaning.
That linear/literal person might also find it difficult to understand the other person, who does not try and reach a specific goal or take a linear line of thought. Or they may be implying a meaning that the linear/literal person doesn't see, because they are focusing just on what is literally said.

eg: someone tells a linear/literal person to "put on another shirt."
So they put one on, over the top of the shirt they currently have on. because they weren't told to take their current shirt off first.

b) English is an imperfect method of communication, and there are a lot of illogical standards, as well as different standards used by different people.

People want to transfer ideas to each other, and written English is one method of doing so, as well as verbal English. There are other languages which use the same basic method (symbols, sounds), and other methods (braille, sign language, lip reading).

A language which is more rigid and specific would have less chance of being taken out of context, though also possibly be harder to learn.

It's because
a) people have different ways of thinking
- For instance, some people might think literally, as in what is said is literally what is meant. Some people consider the way something is said to change the meaning.
- Also, some people think in a linear, goal-oriented way (A -> B -> C). Others think in terms of patterns/organisation, not with a specific goal.

If a person who thinks in a linear, literal way says something, it's possible they can unknowingly say it in a way that another person considers would change the meaning.
That linear/literal person might also find it difficult to understand the other person, who does not try and reach a specific goal or take a linear line of thought. Or they may be implying a meaning that the linear/literal person doesn't see, because they are focusing just on what is literally said.

eg: someone tells a linear/literal person to "put on another shirt."
So they put one on, over the top of the shirt they currently have on. because they weren't told to take their current shirt off first.

b) English is an imperfect method of communication, and there are a lot of illogical standards, as well as different standards used by different people.

People want to transfer ideas to each other, and written English is one method of doing so, as well as verbal English. There are other languages which use the same basic method (symbols, sounds), and other methods (braille, sign language, lip reading).

A language which is more rigid and specific would have less chance of being taken out of context, though also possibly be harder to learn.
Another thing is slang, bad typing, bad grammar, and native foreign speaking people that tend to muck things up as well.

One thing ive noticed is people who tend to try and have good grammar and typing on a forum (or online in general) are typically considered elitists for who ever knows why. People who like precise and articulate information thats to the point enjoying reading posts that dont have "text speak" or what i classify as "girl talk" in them. Sometimes, though, it makes people come off as rash or rude. Its all in how somebody takes something i suppose, but im not going to change the way i type, write, or speak because somebody doesnt understand.

TROTTER I HATE Y... pig in a poke??! WTF? LMAO

Yeah. A "pig in a poke", or a pig in a sack for you non-Southerners, is basically taking something as what you are told without seeing it. It comes from the old story about a man who buys a pig in a poke/sack only to find out that the poke/sack had rocks in it instead. Saying someone is buying a pig in a poke is the same as saying they are buying something sight unseen or are taking someone's word for something when there is no way to know for sure.

We use all kinds of colloquialisms like that around here.

I think humor is especially difficult on forums- the "cynical" or "tongue in cheek " type of humor is especially difficult as it is often taken as a slam/cut of someone when the person is actually trying to be funny and not trying to be rude/insensitive or mean in anyway.

I think humor is especially difficult on forums- the "cynical" or "tongue in cheek " type of humor is especially difficult as it is often taken as a slam/cut of someone when the person is actually trying to be funny and not trying to be rude/insensitive or mean in anyway.

I get that alot.

I hate when people get in scuffles on the internet because they didn't read a post in the right context. I've seen quite a few times, good guys and fellow members read a post and jump to the negative conclusion.

I try in every post to make sure my mood and tone is expressed by means of smilies and the occasional lol or wtf.

How do you guys prevent someone misunderstanding your intentions and context here on the forums or Facebook etc?

On the forums, I manage it by being awesome and well liked. I manage it on Facebook by not using Facebook because I have a soul.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom