Fighting taken out of context.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abstract Hero

Hyper Techie
I hate when people get in scuffles on the internet because they didn't read a post in the right context. I've seen quite a few times, good guys and fellow members read a post and jump to the negative conclusion.

I try in every post to make sure my mood and tone is expressed by means of smilies and the occasional lol or wtf.

How do you guys prevent someone misunderstanding your intentions and context here on the forums or Facebook etc?

My posts are simply straight, to the point, and pretty bold or witty so i come off as a complete *** most of the time. I dont try to cover things up with smilies or anything because simply put if somebody is gonna take it out of context they will anyways. Im a pretty nice guy in person but i guess its just the way i type or something, im not quite sure. I used to go over board with smilies and whatnot over at TPU but it didnt work at all still.

Other times im trolling.

No matter how much you try to word your feelings, things will always be taken out of context. Even if you add an emoticon or flat out tell people "Not to be mean or anything" they will still take what is said the wrong way or offensively. It is just the nature of only seeing text on the screen and trying to put emotions behind them.

Try your best to express your emotions with words, try to keep it simple, or try to be as professional as possible and it can still blow up in your face. It happens to all of us. It happens to me almost hourly. (When i am on the PC doing this stuff on the net) Just take it with a grain of salt and let it go. No need to hold a grudge or take offense. I know that many people here have issues with me, my statements and my actions. But honestly i hold no grudges to anyone for anything. I do my best and let the chips fall where they may.

I've noticed you, Mak, are taken to be cold or rude when making a point or lending advice but I've realize that you are just straight and to the point which is respectable but I can see why someone could get butt hurt.

and to clarify that wasn't meant to be rude ^ haha

I think this is an interesting subject because so far I've gotten 3 pretty different approaches to this. :D

Writing is second nature to me as I have always been good with words. That helps me a lot around here.

I also use a lot of "local flavor" in what I write, typing it basically the same way I would say it. It's hard to take something negatively when you are trying to figure out what a "pig in a poke" is and what the heck it has to do with the situation. ;)

For those few who still end up taking what I post the wrong way I just ban them.

...what? >_>

I'm just a nice guy :p

Nah but srsly, I just try to remember that this is teh internets, if you can't be civil here then you've gotta be a pretty argumentative/horrible person in real life IMO.

That, and I have a tried and true way of keeping myself calm ;) :grin: cough cough

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom