IT Fields

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirCyber

Daemon Poster
What are some exciting and lucrative IT fields? I know alot of them, the big ones such as system admins, animators, ect ect ect. but what about ethical hackers, security admins, and some other little known IT fields of study?

yes, this is homework

Database administrator, Chief information officer, chief security officer, systems analysist

There are all kinds of security fields, and ethical hacker courses.

Unfortunately, neither give you at all an in-depth look at security.

You end up knowing absolutely nothing except the knowledge to run one scanner, and tell your client that he is 'secure' or 'not secure'.

If you're not a hacker before you take the Certified Ethical Hacker course, you for sure won't be one after.

That's the sad truth for that.

As for the IT security field, it seems to be growing at a pretty big rate, so there will be some opportunities there. If you are looking to excel though, you'd better start learning now.

ok, thanks for the responses! it's been very helpful so far. what are some of the funner fields out there? wiegh in from better pay to more fun. also job security *although the IT field seems to have a strong following and placement here in the US* I'm sure I could google this, but I wanted some opinions here. and that sucks big time about the ethical hacking unit. didn't know that and I will keep my eyes out for that

Sys admin, DB admin, CIO/CSO, sys anl are all solid choices, but all take a degree or the equivalent... plus experience.

Many companies roll sys admin, DB admin, and CIO into a single position. Three jobs, but only one pay.

Multi staff fils are a little hairy in some places before I signed up at my current job only one dude did the job of 4 people an he was frazzeld because of it he has now left an I am doing what he did before but I am finding it easy, **** i love my job at the minute.

I am currently in the role of a system analyst and love it. It is a combination of multiple tasks related to I.T. the pay is really good for my age (25) and no degree..I am not complaining :) plus I am happy and enjoy going to work everyday.

IT fields can never be determined unless you refer the IT fields to a specific company. Anyone will tell you ... DB Admin, AD admin, network admin.. but in all reality, the IT department can vary SO much depending on the company that you work for. It stands for Information Technology... if that isn't a broad term then I don't know what would be...

I work for Starbucks Coffee Company. They have an IT structure full of about 600-700 people. They have IT people at the roasting plants, Districts (different countries), the support center, etc. My department is "IT Retail International" ... basically what that means is when new Starbucks stores go in in China, Puerto Rico, Japan, Thailand, etc... We dictate to them how the store should be built... network, phone lines, retail POS, etc...

There are IT people that do nothing but draw schematics all day... they aren't exactly Admins... they are just in the IT planning/strategy department.

For your homework... I know.. but it dives A LOT deeper than what you are thinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom