Fiber Optics

Status
Not open for further replies.
benzimm86 said:
I know that it is very fragile because of like someone said earlier it has glass tubing. It should never be rolled up right like you might with some other cables. I believe you should have atleast a foot diameter on the spool or something around that. It is also very hard to terminate the ends of the cables.

It is actually really strong. I have tried to break the stuff just by pulling end to end on it (just one strand) and I couldn't do it. However, it does break quite easily if you make a loop in it and pull. Terminating and splicing is not that difficult, but it requires a lot of precision so that the edges of the fiber are lined up, etc.

Elbatrop1 said:
It is actually really strong. I have tried to break the stuff just by pulling end to end on it (just one strand) and I couldn't do it. However, it does break quite easily if you make a loop in it and pull. Terminating and splicing is not that difficult, but it requires a lot of precision so that the edges of the fiber are lined up, etc.

Did you actually read my post i commented on it being rolled up which would also be the same as making to sharp of a turn around something such as a corner there for i would consider it pretty fragile. As far terminating it, things that usually required "a lot of precision" often can be considered difficult. So what i am saying is you pretty much reiterated my points.

I remember watching a special on the discovery channel, there are a few ships that will pick the fiber optic lines from the ocean floor up and split them in to two sections and take a bad section out like a crack in the line and put a new section in, when they store there lines its usualy 30ton rolls and the lines are stored very losely, the inner diameter is about 20 foot across, and the outer diameter is about 50-70 foot accross, they spend up to four weeks on each repair about about 13 hours making sure each connection is perfectly lined up, oh and the lines that stretch out on the ocean floors are made up of 4-200 seperate lines, usualy only 50 when going from america to newfoundland, thats how many strands where in the line they replaced that had damage in it. And when the lines are on the ocean floor they will burry the line down about 15 foot...

One of my biggest questions is... Who invented fiber optic cables and when?

I did some searching on google and it went back to the 1800s and there was like 10 diffrent people in all diffrent times. Whats the best answer

and does anyone have a good close up picture of a fiber optic cable?

So....

Light on = 1
Light off = 0

This is binary code or something right? How would I related that to normal copper wires used mostly today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom