Fiber Optics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Max Power

Mr Beans Sidekick
I have to do a project and essay and am going to do an animation on fiber optics for science. Now Ive done alot of research and still barely understand them...

Can they be used for anything? Such as internet and phone line?

If your using them does your ISP/Phone company have to be some kind of specific fiber optic company. I mean can I just switch my ethernet cable with fiber optic cables some how or would I have to get a different ISP?

If there faster, cheaper to maintain, and all around better why isnt everyone using them?

Any additional info would be great plus if you have any ideas for my animation I want to make it would be great.

Thanks

If i dont reply to this thread in a few days PM me. I have some pretty good material on fiberoptics (The stuff your local ISP is using now)

Fiber Optics is mainly used for data transfer in high speed networks. It is extremely expensive to implement. Basically there are two "wires" the receive on one end connects to the transfer plug on the other, and the transfer plug on end one connects to receive on end 2, basically (as far as i understand it) pulses of light (sometimes different colors also i believe) cause the on/off, 1/0. Someone please correct me if i'm wrong.

IBMan pretty much gave you the basics on Fiber Optics, i could go about an hour of typing trying to explain fiber optics to you.

Basicly its the same thing UTP, but instead of wires, you're using a glass tube inside of the cable, and also it transfers data, using light pulses. Light=On=1. No light=Off=0. Very expensive to implement, generally used on backbones of networks. There's two types of fiber Multimode, and Singlemode. Multimode can transfer more data at once, but sacrfices distance. I think its max distance is only 3000m, i could be wrong im not completly sure. Singlmode, ur not gonna get as much bandwidth, but you can have distance up to 5km, before having to use a repeater.

Another good link for some basics:
http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/fiber-optic.htm

Can they be used for anything?

Any kind of data transmisison, yes. This includes actual data from computers (internet) or data from voice (PSTN). However, because fiber optics is able to transmit huge amounts of bandwidth, it is generally used for backbone or mainline purposes(for both internet and phone).

Another thing that has been overlooked is fiber optics transmission of cable TV signals. For cable systems, fiber is used as mainlines to connect the headend (main central station of a cable system) to hubsites for different serving areas. The information transported between hubsites and the headend include not only internet traffic, but TV programming as well.

As mentioned before, fiber optics is used to carry phone traffic as well. Analog phone lines are switched at a local station and, depending on the destination of the call, will end up being multiplexed onto fiber optics as well as potentially 100/1000s of other phone conversations.

If your using them does your ISP/Phone company have to be some kind of specific fiber optic company
Your ISP/Phone company doesn't have to own the fiber optics. It is likely that at some point they lease fiber optics from another company.

I mean can I just switch my ethernet cable with fiber optic cables some how or would I have to get a different ISP?
What you seem to be confusing here is that your ISP probably doesn't server your internet to you on ethernet. DSL uses phone lines, and cable internet uses the same cable that cable tv uses. If you wanted to get fiber optics directly into your house, you probably wouldn't be able to.

If there faster, cheaper to maintain, and all around better why isnt everyone using them?

It has to do with the implemention costs. It would be EXTREMELY pricey to bury and run fiber to every home. Not to mention, no ISP would have enough backbone infrastructure to support having that many people having that much bandwidth at once. At this point, cable internet providers currently aren't even close to the amount of bandwidth that they can potentially use with regular coaxial cable. My cable internet ISP now is supplying me with a 7Mbps down/1Mbps up connection. Using the same modem that I have now, if they had enough bandwidth to supply, I could get a 38Mbps down/24Mbps up connection.

I know that it is very fragile because of like someone said earlier it has glass tubing. It should never be rolled up right like you might with some other cables. I believe you should have atleast a foot diameter on the spool or something around that. It is also very hard to terminate the ends of the cables.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom