The FCC, do we still need it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drewjustforyou

In Runtime
I think with all the "trouble" our economy is in, that its about time we look at cutting government spending, would anyone be against losing this particular branch of the government?

I was laying in bed last night and got to thinking, how terrible would life be if we didnt have ratings on our motion pictures, or those oh so helpful ratings in the top left of the television screen? Dont we already have built in adult control chips on most cable/satellite boxes?

also, what is the worst thing we could possibly see on the television/at the movies, that is not 10 times more accessable on the internet already? the way I see it, if we are going to continue to censor what is seen the FCC is going to have to step up to the plate in terms of internet content, and that is going to cost money that we dont have. Otherwise why dont we just cut their budget altogether, and return to the freedoms we enjoyed well over a century ago?

I am thinking about writing my senator with this idea, can anyone come up with a good pro-fcc argument?

The main problem I see with eliminating the FCC is that, suddenly, there would be no rules and no one to enforce them if there were. In a complete vacuum like that the very worst of humanity comes rampaging out into the fore. forget a butt cheek showing up in a scene late at night... you would have full frontal and hardcore sex going on at any time, any place.

Even if it only involved language usage it would be horrible. Suddenly every other word would be the "F" bomb or something along those lines. I don't know about some but I don't want to have to be subjected to that. "Turn the channel"? Wouldn't do any good as there would be no rules to stop anyone from doing it.

While I agree with cutting back you can't throw out the baby with the bath water.

The main problem I see with eliminating the FCC is that, suddenly, there would be no rules and no one to enforce them if there were. In a complete vacuum like that the very worst of humanity comes rampaging out into the fore. forget a butt cheek showing up in a scene late at night... you would have full frontal and hardcore sex going on at any time, any place.

Even if it only involved language usage it would be horrible. Suddenly every other word would be the "F" bomb or something along those lines. I don't know about some but I don't want to have to be subjected to that. "Turn the channel"? Wouldn't do any good as there would be no rules to stop anyone from doing it.

While I agree with cutting back you can't throw out the baby with the bath water.

I know there has to be rules...but we shouldn't have to pump so much money to enforce them...

how about the idea of....

OMG

GASP

let parents actually...you know... do something...like....be parents and enforce a rule?

PLEASE DON'T HURT ME :(

How about if we're gonna get rid of unnecessary places like that, we get rid of the RIAA and MPAA?

dumping millions to fund a F bomb police isn't needed
So take this situation: you're sitting down with some family-time TV with your wife and kids. It's "Primetime" on TV when the whole family is there watching TV. You turn to the station where you normally watch family-friendly shows. But now there's cursing, nudity, etc etc on. You flip the channel in haste to try get your children to avoid watching it. Same thing on the next channel, and the next. What's then to stop them from watching normal TV (V-Chips would be useless) while somebody isn't home?

money spent to stop people from stealing is needed

I disagree that we need an MP3 Police and Video Police around either; they're trying to control other countries that they have no business to be in.

So take this situation: you're sitting down with some family-time TV with your wife and kids. It's "Primetime" on TV when the whole family is there watching TV. You turn to the station where you normally watch family-friendly shows. But now there's cursing, nudity, etc etc on. You flip the channel in haste to try get your children to avoid watching it. Same thing on the next channel, and the next. What's then to stop them from watching normal TV (V-Chips would be useless) while somebody isn't home?

I disagree that we need an MP3 Police and Video Police around either; they're trying to control other countries that they have no business to be in.

Youre watching Canadian TV are yha?

The FCC should be ditched IMO, but laws should be set into place by the federal gov, not a branch, same with the RIAA/MPAA and so on.

The FCC can be replaced by a 3rd party. What you need is a committee that represents many of the large players in the industry. They will make rules that all participants in the industry must follow. Their mode of enforcement would be to suspend offending parties and to cut them off from resources and clients. Many different industries do this pretty successfully.

Med schools are accredited by a 3rd party that represents doctors around the country. If they feel that a med school or student is out of line for whatever reason, they can keep them from graduating doctors, or being a doctor. Such a system can work in the place of the FCC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom