Favorite Books?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DefragMyHead

In Runtime
Everybody loves a good top "x" list since it allows others to get a little glimpse into ourselves. Tonight, I'm wondering about books. I don't know about ya'll but despite my innate A.D.D nature, I love to read. And Im guessing since we're all just a bunch of dorks anyway ;) ya'll like to read too. So here's my list, with some caveats...I read a lot, but seldom finish the book. And I'm fickle, whatever I'mn reading now--if I like it--is my new favorite, with some exceptions of course.

1) Dune--a masterpiece and a difficult read. Part sci-fi, part philosophy and political discourse. It intrigued me.

2) Probably only no. 2 because it's what Im currently reading and nearing the end--Dune Messiah--Herbert continues in the same vein as the first.

3) Requiem for a Dream-- Ever seen the movie? Well thats a pretty darn good facsimile of the book. Selby's style of writing might wear on some, so be warned.

4) 100 Years in Solitude-- Never finished this book, but read three quarters through twice (what's wrong with me?!). Hard to explain this one...fiction yes, but much more. Insert some supernatural occurences in what is written as a family history taking place in Latin America and you got this book. I gotta finish this one day.

5) Altered Carbon-- A sci-fi noir detective novel that takes place in a future where humans--especially the wealthy ones--can live indefinitely by inserting their consciousness into "sleeves," AKA synthetic human bodies. It's a future where faster than light travel is possible, but only through transmitting one's consciousness to another's sleeve through "needle casting." Though at its heart, it's just a good ol' detective story.

6) The Good Earth-- Read it as a freshman in high school and was the only book that I actually read completely that was required reading for my English classes for my entire high school career. It's about a Chinaman in 19th century China and chronicles his ascension from poverty to wealth.

7) The Plot Against America-- Don't worry you Canadians, even you'll like this--as long as you're not an anti-semite. Admittedly, I never finished it, but I nearly did. So that counts for something right? It's an alternate history book in which the Nazi sympathizer, and American hero, Charles Lindberg is elected President...I don't know much more than that, so don't tell me!

On my "To Read" list:
1) the rest of the Dune series.
2) The Stranger, which I've started several times.
3) The Sorrows of Young Werther, which I've started several times.

So c'mon guys (and girl) give me yours lists. I hope if you enjoy a good read that I'd intrigued you. So by all means intrigue me, and go far past 7 if you wish!

Deception point- Dan brown

The Gun Seller- Hugh Laurie ( HOUSE!)

The Da Vinci Code - Dan brown

Ducks dont get wet- it was my first BOOK! i dont know the author.

I read Decption Point and The Da Vinci Code, John. And I did like them both. But I think Dan Brown is a pretty lousy writer, even though his yarns are captivating. I mean, did you notice--despite the settings and the motives--that everything else in those those two novels were the same? His writing is very expositive--that is, he spends a lot of time explaining the science/history/mathematic/whatever of a particular thing...which I personally dont mind since I'm pretty pendantic in such areas. But I still think it's kind of cop-out type writing.

I also love reading. I generally have tons of books sitting around waiting to be read. Here are a few of my favorites:

1.) Neuromancer (by William Gibson) - this book pretty much defined the cyberpunk genre. It's one of those titles I can read over and over without ever getting tired of it.

2.) Dune (by Frank Herbert) - See above. This is like the sci-fi Lord of the Rings. I actually have the rest of the books in the Dune series, I just haven't gotten around to reading them yet. One of these days...

3.) Lord of the Rings (by J.R.R. Tolkien) - I'm a fantasy fan and former D&D player, so this one is pretty much expected.

4.) Neverwhere (by Neil Gaiman) - After reading Good Omens in one of my Lit classes, I went on a Gaiman spree and found this book to be absolutely amazing. It creates a fully realized alternate world and the overall story is incredibly unique.

Here is my Next To Read list:
1.) Virtual Light (by William Gibson) - I just shortly finished up the Sprawl Trilogy, which has Neuromancer as the first title in the series, and I decided to take a little break from Gibson before I read the Bridge Trilogy, which has Virtual Light as its first book.

2.) American Gods (by Neil Gaiman) - This is another book I bought when I was on my Gaiman spree. I've heard virtually nothing but good things about it from people I know who have already read it, so I should be in for a treat.

3.) The rest of the Dune series (by Frank Herbert) - I've owned all of these books for quite awhile, I really need to get around to reading them, especially considering how much I enjoyed Dune.

Books suck :( Even though I have to admit I do love some of the books I've read. But still most of them suck :p

I dont' read many books, but the one's I do are usually pretty good by other's standards.

The best book i've read in a long time is easily 1984 by George Orwell. The ending is really depressing, but nonetheless an amazing book.

Anything by Tam Clancy.

Anything by Roger Zelazny.

Anything by Michael Moorcock.

The Hobbit, The Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers, Return of the King, Neuromancer, Armor, Annuls of the Black Company, many many more... I like to read.

Trotter said:
Anything by Tam Clancy.

Anything by Roger Zelazny.

Anything by Michael Moorcock.

The Hobbit, The Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers, Return of the King, Neuromancer, Armor, Annuls of the Black Company, many many more... I like to read.

Someone spelt his favorite author's name wrong, pity..

DefragMyHead said:
I read Decption Point and The Da Vinci Code, John. And I did like them both. But I think Dan Brown is a pretty lousy writer, even though his yarns are captivating. I mean, did you notice--despite the settings and the motives--that everything else in those those two novels were the same? His writing is very expositive--that is, he spends a lot of time explaining the science/history/mathematic/whatever of a particular thing...which I personally dont mind since I'm pretty pendantic in such areas. But I still think it's kind of cop-out type writing.

yeah he does have that about his books, but thats mainly the only reason i liked The Da Vinci Code, he tells u so much you dont know (at least for my age), for example i had no clue about the number phi or however its spelt, that thing is SO cool. and i like deception point because well.....it was pretty good, probably the best of his 4 books, and mainly because it consisted of astronomy and all that, and i like science.

and the Gun Seller by Hugh Laurie, is a really funny book, im still not odne reading it, but its good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom