Fastest Single Core CPU?

Thorax_the_Impaler

Minecraft Veteran
Hello everyone!

So I was researching this to curb my curiosity, and I read from a couple different online sources that, the fastest single core CPU clock speed ever recorded was 8.6GHz, and it was indeed an overclock of an existing processor. I do not know the conditions of the cooling system used, nor do i know which CPU model it was.

Does anyone know if this is correct? If it is, I have to say even for today's standards in processing 8.6GHz from one core is amazing.

Hello everyone!

So I was researching this to curb my curiosity, and I read from a couple different online sources that, the fastest single core CPU clock speed ever recorded was 8.6GHz, and it was indeed an overclock of an existing processor. I do not know the conditions of the cooling system used, nor do i know which CPU model it was.

Does anyone know if this is correct? If it is, I have to say even for today's standards in processing 8.6GHz from one core is amazing.

It most likely would have been from LN2 (liquid nitrogen).

I'm actually curious how it would feel using a machine with that processor speed.
Despite what Kman saying being true, it would still be slow. A Celery at 8GHz is still a Celery no matter what. It's of the old P4 Netburst architecture and so essentially still sucks mass amounts of ass.

The FX8150 has all but one module disabled.

I was running a 3.4GHz Pentium 4 in my socket 478 motherboard several years ago and I thought I was pretty baddass. It was almost fast enough to pretend it wasn't netburst.

Despite what Kman saying being true, it would still be slow. A Celery at 8GHz is still a Celery no matter what. It's of the old P4 Netburst architecture and so essentially still sucks mass amounts of ass.

The FX8150 has all but one module disabled.

I guess if your goal is clock speed then performance doesn't really matter; but that's still too bad it'd suck. 8.7GHz sounds like a number that'd blitz through quite a bit of data; at least in today's world.

Well sure but to get those results they are using short bursts of LN2 and ramming the volts through the roof. They disable 90% of the chip and go for the highest GHz they can get stable enough to verify through CPU-Z. At those conditions they wouldn't be able to pull off any benches, let alone any kind of real work.

Back
Top Bottom