Faster Than Light

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lord AnthraX said:
Apokalipse, just curious, did you obtain all your knowledge on this subject through classes? Or was it more you just reading books on the subject and internet or something other.
oh, all over the place. classes, books, internet sites..

Lord AnthraX said:
This subject to me is awesome, and I want to learn more about it and such. Stuff like Quantum Mechanics, Quantum Physics, and General relativity and such are really something that I'd actually enjoy reading.
That's good to hear.

For the record, Special relativity is to do with the effects of velocity. General relativity is to do with the effects of gravity.

Lord AnthraX said:
Of course I have picked up some books and I have a general grasp on the subject, more then your average person. But yeah, Apok, you and meithan sure do know your stuff. It's cool to be able to discuss something like this, with people who know it very well.
I like discussing subjects like this, too.

Lord AnthraX said:
For anyone looking to grasp General Relativity, String Theory, M-Theory, and Black Holes, Check out this book.

elegant.jpg

It's a great book, I have been reading it, and I just got it, and Brian Greene does a great job of simplifying everything so you can understand. It has pictures too! :)

Does he make it Easy enough to read for a 13 year old ?? :p i doubt it.

Im good at science like very good for my age and this is interesting me, anyone reccomend any books about things like achieveing the speed of light, black holes, and astronomy ect ect in general. Thanks.

Thanks. We have 4 Science groups at school with about 60 children in eachClass Level each class being split into 30. Class 1 being the Best and 4 The worst, Im class one and am in the Top 3 within my gropup of thirty, so i have a chance. I hope :).

Alcubierre Drive:

quantum_arguement.png

Where α ,I believe, is the lapse function that gives the repeating time pattern of time between hypersurfaces. βi is the shift vector. γij is the positive definite metric on the hypersurfaces. (BTW correct me if I am wrong).

A problem with the Alcubierre drive is that usually with Einstein field equations someone first specifies a plausible distribution of matter and energy, then finds the spacial differences of the spacetime associated with it. Though others argue that the equations could be solved backward, which I agree with.

P.S. - Sorry I could not explain the equation completely. Basically it is when space in front of the "warp" bubble is contracting and the space behind the "warp" bubble is expanding. And as Molsen mentioned earlier time is relative.

Another problem with the Alcubierre drive is that while all physical mass/energy distributions have metrics which satisfy Einstein's equations, not all solutions to the equations correspond to physical distributions (or physically-realizable distributions). It could be that in practice the conditions necessary for the Alcubierre drive are technically impossible to produce.

Also, posting a space-time metric in a Computer Tech Forums is going too far, lol. Heck, I have an idea of what you're talking about, but to be honest General Relativity is not a topic I am familiar with.

Edit: May I ask what kind of education you have in Physics? General Relativity is usually for advanced under-graduate or (usually) graduate courses.

I am a freshman in highschool.

Another problem with the Alcubierre drive is that while all physical mass/energy distributions have metrics which satisfy Einstein's equations, not all solutions to the equations correspond to physical distributions (or physically-realizable distributions). It could be that in practice the conditions necessary for the Alcubierre drive are technically impossible to produce.
Interesting...

Also, posting a space-time metric in a Computer Tech Forums is going too far, lol. Heck, I have an idea of what you're talking about, but to be honest General Relativity is not a topic I am familiar with.

LOL I remember saving that formula in my photobucket account....I was all like "holy crud there it is...."

Then I'm impressed. It's good to see people interested by these things at such age!

By the way, I see you like Einstein's ideas a lot. I myself share that admiration. He was a great writer, a great physicist and a great philosopher. My favorite Einstein quote is this:

There is in [the Universe] neither a will nor a goal, nor a must, but only sheer being.
-Albert Einstein

You should read (if you haven't already) about Einstein's concept of religiosity. In this quote, he states that the fact the Universe's most intimate secrets and workings can be comprehended by the human mind is an indication that there is something divine to the Universe, but that such divinity has no will, goal or must... it just is.

Actually I think it was Einstein who introduced me to Pantheism (and later, Taoism) when I was a young student in high school (with a small essay he wrote entitled "The Religious Cosmic Feeling"). It's all very deep and very interesting stuff, but that I think only a scientific-minded person will truly understand (because who else can appreciate the beauty in physical equations?)

Then I'm impressed. It's good to see people interested by these things at such age!

By the way, I see you like Einstein's ideas a lot. I myself share that admiration. He was a great writer, a great physicist and a great philosopher.
:) Thanks! Yes, I admire Einstein for his physics, but I think his ideas on pacifism are beyond my admiration. (I think he rivals such people as Martin Luther King, Nelson Mandella, and Ghandi.)

(because who else can appreciate the beauty in physical equations?)
Physical equation; it should be considered an art in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom