Faster Than Light

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lord AnthraX said:
For anyone looking to grasp General Relativity, String Theory, M-Theory, and Black Holes, Check out this book.

elegant.jpg

It's a great book, I have been reading it, and I just got it, and Brian Greene does a great job of simplifying everything so you can understand. It has pictures too! :)

^ I went to see Brian Greene talk about string theory, he certainly knows his stuff! At the time I was taking calc 3 and he explained that for the string theory to make sense, 10 dimensions have to be taken into consideration (3 dimensions were a pain in calc 3). But yeah, I might eventually read that book as well as take some more physics courses.

But yes, I do remember that speeds greater than c do not make sense mathematically. I think c is kind of analogous to "absolute zero" --- no matter can be colder than zero K and nothing can go faster than c .

Now give me money :D

The General said:
What experiments?

GPS satellites don't take that into account, they take lag into account. They aren't time shifting...

If by "reletivity" you mean "triangulation" then you aren't talking about the same relativity.

Relativity as in "that stupid theory about time shifting" is blatant stupidity.
http://www.astronomy.ohio-state.edu/~pogge/Ast162/Unit5/gps.html

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=relativity+experiments&btnG=Search&meta=

Please do some reading on the subject before you blatantly dismiss it.

Don't tell me to read before blatantly dismissing something, you dolt. This is completely inaccurate, this has nothing to do with time shifting or going the speed of light. This is like saying that hunters, when giving lead on a shot because a bird is moving, have to take into account Einstein's theory of relativity. This is so absurd I don't even know how else to respond to you, you have got to be freaking kidding me.

Clocks go faster on satellites? Haha ... this has to be a joke.

If someone were to start two stop watches at the exact same time, keep one on Earth and launch the other one on a rocket and shoot it around the nearest star and back at the speed of light, or even to the moon at a somewhat-fast speed and back... and show me that the two stop watches are off sync, then I will believe it. Until then, this is pure insanity for someone to think that going somewhere fast makes time shift or speed up or slow down.

Dude, you're just going somewhere fast. Someone going somewhere fast is not going to affect time.

"Relativity" and "Einstein's Theory of Relativity" are different things. When I say that Bakersfield is two hours south of Fresno, that is a relative coordinate, which as nothing to do with Einsteing/speed of light/time shifting.

P.S. - no need to "shoot me down" with your fighter jet over this. :rolleyes:

The General said:
Don't tell me to read before blatantly dismissing something, you dolt. This is completely inaccurate, this has nothing to do with time shifting or going the speed of light.
I gave you websites confirming what I said. If you still don't agree, please state your reasons why.

Also, you don't need to throw around abuse. it isn't going to make you right.

The General said:
This is like saying that hunters, when giving lead on a shot because a bird is moving, have to take into account Einstein's theory of relativity.
people can't run nearly close to the speed of light. Einstein's relativity is insignificant unless travelling at speeds close to that of light.
You can work it out using the formulae I stated in previous posts.

The General said:
"Relativity" and "Einstein's Theory of Relativity" are different things. When I say that Bakersfield is two hours south of Fresno, that is a relative coordinate, which as nothing to do with Einsteing/speed of light/time shifting.
the word 'Relativity' is often used when referring to Einstein's relativity.

Just for the record, Einstein's relativity, and Einstein's theory of relativity are different, too.
Einstein's relativity is the what, which has been experimentally proven.
Einstein's theory of relativity is the how, based around the evidence we have.

The General said:
P.S. - no need to "shoot me down" with your fighter jet over this. :rolleyes:
We don't ban people just because we disagree with them.
If they become abusive, then we may ban them. abuse actually is against the rules.

I have a question...

If the sun was to suddenly dissapear = no mass ( i have no idea how that would ever happen), but, would we feel the gravitational change instantly, or in 7 minutes?

Do the forces of gravity act faster than the speed of light?

Apokalipse said:
photons don't have weight

given, then also given E=mc^2 where c is the speed of light squared times mass equals energy. (sorry, had to work it out real quick ) This relationship is directly proportionate. for all photons, utilizing the particle theory of light, it is given that their mass is 0. We now have E = 0 * c^2. Photons, being light, are going to travel the speed of light. That means that E = 0 * (186282.397) ^2 or E = 0 * 372564.794 or E = 0. Im not a genius, but working through this it would seem that photons have no weight and no energy. How can this be possible, when we have already proven that light has energy?

As a devils advocate, say we solve for c. The equation would be as follows - E/m = c^2. That would make Energy and mass indirectly proportionate, meaning that as we reached the speed of light, either Mass goes up/Energy goes down, or the reverse. Now, I could be off my rocker, but it's kinda making sense to me this way. Im not disagreeing with photons not having weight. Above, solving for c, it would seem that to attain the speed of light, you would have to be either pure energy or pure mass, which is a mathmatical impossibility. Holy crap - I believe I may have blown my own mind. That can't be right, because E/m = c^2 would prove that photons have to have some mass, because you cannot divide by zero. If that's the truth, then it would be possible to attain the speed of light, given mass and Energy. It's just not infinite. Oh darn, I have a headache now. Apok or Meithan, please tell me where I fouled up.

As for the ten diminsions, I read a book on it one time, but i can't remember the name of the book. It was great, and explained it really nicely. When I think of it, ill post back.

The key to it all is one simple little word... theory. We have no way to prove it, one way or another. We can have some interesting discussions on it, but no proof.

Actually, I think the speed of light is not a wall of sorts, and that it will be broken by man one day. No time soon, but one day.

Elegant Universe - trippy book. very sublime... however, based ENTIRELY on the presumptions of some rather heavy theories.

The General said:
If someone were to start two stop watches at the exact same time, keep one on Earth and launch the other one on a rocket and shoot it around the nearest star and back at the speed of light, or even to the moon at a somewhat-fast speed and back... and show me that the two stop watches are off sync, then I will believe it. Until then, this is pure insanity for someone to think that going somewhere fast makes time shift or speed up or slow down.
but that's exactly what DOES happen. it's been proven time after time. the faster you go, the slower time goes. they've syncronized atomic clocks on earth and the space shuttle....and the clock is behind when the shuttle lands a week later. you can't debate this. whether you believe it or not is not a matter of scientific fact---it's a matter if hard-headedness.

now i agree with you that alot of stuff is just theories. it's just math on paper...and who knows if it's right until we physically test it. but the time dialation IS real. it's been physically tested. there is no debating it.

read it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_dialation

the question is whether it becomes infinite and mass becomes infinite as you reach the speed of light. our math says so, but that means nothing without scientific proof to back it up.

Trotter said:
The key to it all is one simple little word... theory. We have no way to prove it, one way or another. We can have some interesting discussions on it, but no proof.

Actually, I think the speed of light is not a wall of sorts, and that it will be broken by man one day. No time soon, but one day.

Point made. How can we accuratly measure something that we still do not truly understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom