F-150 Truck I test drove today

Status
Not open for further replies.
From my experience, it is BUYER BEWARE on Domestic (USA) vehicles with 125k+ miles on them... I had an '86 RWD Grand Prix that was litterally falling apart when the wrecker came to tow it to the scrap heap a few years back after I got my Scion xB.... that GP had 150,000 on it roughly when they took it. I have a large extended family, and they collectivly own MANY vehicles, GM, ford, a few Diamler-Chrysler, and an even smaller few, well.... ME, Toyota, and I have had NO problems with my car since I got it NEW with 1.0 miles on the odometer, up till now with over 41,500 miles now (ouch, thats since August of '04).

Anyways, good luck with whatever you go with, but if you get a used car, domestic or import, I HIGHLY recommend as did nosbusch2005 that you test drive it and take it to a mechanic. If the seller says you can't take it to a mechanic, DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME... no matter how good the deal 'seems'.

"Do you need a truck?"

no, i'm just 26, always wanted a truck, have 6 g's in the bank, my car now is worth about 1500-2000, and figure why not get a truck for a couple years since I don't drive far.

I'm pretty much got my heart on getting either a black or blue f-150.

Well this thread elminates the myth over here that all American cars have space shuttle mileage. Especially if you will not touch a car with 160k which lets face it probably did 99% of that on the motorway.

Well this thread elminates the myth over here that all American cars have space shuttle mileage.

Not quite sure what you meant.... was the myth that they last 'forever', or they all have high-mileage on them? lol... If it is the lasting forever thing, Japenese cars are BY-FAR the way to go... specifically Toyota & Honda.

Anyways, good luck with whatever you go with, but if you get a used car, domestic or import, I HIGHLY recommend as did nosbusch2005 that you test drive it and take it to a mechanic. If the seller says you can't take it to a mechanic, DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME... no matter how good the deal 'seems'.

Exactly. Most mechanics will check it over for free if you tell them you will bring it to them if you buy... just do it if you do buy. We used to have a mechanic we used (he retired) that would go with us when we test drove. Made letting him check the car over a lot quicker. :D

Not quite sure what you meant.... was the myth that they last 'forever', or they all have high-mileage on them? lol... If it is the lasting forever thing, Japenese cars are BY-FAR the way to go... specifically Toyota & Honda.

No, we just think of all American cars having moon mileage (obviously not brand new ones. ;) ) and that you accept it more. Here if you see a car with 160k it will be very hard to sell it on privately. Unless it is the right car in immaculate condition. ;)

I don't care how many miles the vehicle has on it. I would highly, highly recommend bringing the vehicle to a certified mechanic and having them take a good look at it.

I'm talking transmission, engine, all the seals, brakes, pads, etc...

Spend $5000 on a pick-up and the the tranny goes... lol have fun spending another $1500 on the tranny.

Not to mention all of the other things that could be wrong with it.

Not saying I wouldn't buy it, but for 5K, i'd certainly have it checked out completely by a mechanic. Someone you trust not some dip.

Man some of you guys are retarded. You think 160,000 miles is a lot for a domestic vehicle or a Ford? Sure shows the level of knowledge of automobiles in general is pretty low on this forum.

You think 160,000 miles is a lot for a domestic vehicle or a Ford?

As I already noted, yes, in my personal experience (of me owning a domestic, my family owning several, extended family owning many more, co-workers, friends, etc. etc.) 160,000 is alot of miles for a domestic automobile. At this point they tend to require major maintenance, and it isn't always cheap.

If you are going to start flaming, then please do not post in that thread. If you have something valuable to add to the content of the thread then, please, by all means share it. Such as if you are a certified mechanic who works on cars day in day out, then sure, share you experiences and opinions with other members.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom